Questions About My New/old Lathe.

good point, I forgot about that. Could well be those gears were stripped from trying to get the chuck off - it's pretty common. If it's that stuck, some kind of impact wrench is needed as those gears aren't that strong.

Yep. I wedged a piece of wood between the casting and a stripped gear, chucked up a hex piece of aluminum in the jaws, and let the impact wrench hammer away at it. Took a little while but the chuck did free up from the spindle.

Almost 3 1/2 years?!?!?! I knew I burned myself out when working on this lathe but I didn't know it had been this long. I started working on it again a couple of weeks ago and finished assembling it yesterday.

I made a new pulley shaft for the countershaft. Fun using the mill and square 5C collet block to put flats on it at 90* and the other flat in the middle.

I'm wondering if the other shaft with the handle was modified. I can't seem to get the motor, countershaft, and lathe set up right so that the handle will apply/release tension the way it should. The previous owner may have turned the tensioner shaft around in the countershaft. Other than getting that sorted out and putting in an indexing pin she's done.

I'm hoping to be making chips with it next weekend.

I haven't been around here for a while so this is probably really old news but just in case I thought I'd mention that Taig is selling 3-jaw and 4-jaw scroll chucks for $20 each. They have 1" x 8 tpi threads and fit my Craftsman. They are the 1050 ATLA and 1060 ATLA.

Can someone provide the dimensions of the index pin for this lathe? And a photo would be great too.

We have in Downloads a non-factory drawing of 10-42A (for 9", 10" and 12") that I did several years ago. But we don't have anything on M6-75 for the 6". If someone with any 6" Atlas lathe will take the corresponding dimensions off of it, I'll do one on the latter. Or you could call Clausing and ask whether they still have any M6-75 in stock. If they don't, they will probably email you a copy of the drawing.

Note that it's a mystery as to why they didn't call the 6" index pin M6-42.

Excellent!!! Thanks Frank!

It's the little 0.094" diameter pin I need to replace. I guess it just needs to be long enough to stick out 1/8". That should be all I need.

I think (hope) that's the only part of my lathe that's missing.

Dan,

The 0.094" stub is not a separate part. The taper pin is too close to the end of the 0.313 diameter to expect a separate pin to stay in place. If the stub is broken off, you need to make a new M6-75, not just the stub.

Back