Questions about SG tooling

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a new to me Boyar Schulz 1A618 on its way. Gonna be a rebuild project as well as a learning experience. Right now I don't know what, if any, tooling it might have. So I have a couple of questions.
1. What size mag chuck should I look for a 6x18 machine? It doesn't have one.
2. What would be considered a minimum list of tooling required?
3. It doesn't have the hydraulic module. How hard is it to run manually?

It definitely needs cleaning and probably some paint. I am sure it will need some level of repair. I will also have to get a inverter or VFD as it is 3ph and I am not. Any advice on which is better? More affordable? It has a 1HP motor.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I'll jump in if for no other reason than to make sure I see what the experienced grinder hands recommend.
I have Parker Majestic 6x18 and it has a Walker Ceramax 6x18 manual chuck.
I think minimum tooling has to be a hub to hold a wheel, a wheel, a diamond dresser and holder to dress the wheel.

I run my SG off a VFD and it seems to work fine but I'm curious what others think.

Unless you have a compelling reason for an 18 inch chuck I'd say go for a 12 inch manual model. Walker fine pole is my brand of choice.
Why not 18 inch? Weight and safety concerns. There are other reasons.
Why not AC ? Weight and heat.

Eugene

Being a manual , I would go with a 12" mag chuck . For the essentials needed , it depends on what you have planned for it . Of course you need a wheel and appropriate hub , a diamond and a holder for dressing . Then we can go down the rabbit hole from here . I'll take a picture of what I have left for my SG . I sold quite a bit of tooling for it over the years . Sin-a-dexs , sine plates , dividing heads , etc . I found I no longer needed them for hobby type work .

Thanks. Would a Chinese chuck be ok? I found a Chinese 6x12 marked as fine pitch for 105 or an old walker ceramic for 155. The walker looks rusted so I don't know if that affects usage. I know I would have to grind it in anyway.

My current plans are to learn how to grind. Mostly flat tooling (parallels, blocks etc) and possibly sharpening. My ultimate goal is to finish my Rucker 9" straight edge and my Windy Hill foundry machinist square.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Here's a few , just some ideas . Whirley jig , mag parallels , mag v-blocks , end mill sharpener , angle dresser , norbide sticks , hold down combs , etc .

Attachments

• IMG_7894.JPG
    IMG_7894.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 148
Here's a few , just some ideas . Whirley jig , mag parallels , mag v-blocks , end mill sharpener , angle dresser , norbide sticks , hold down combs , etc .

What size are the mag V-blocks Dave?
What do you want for them?
61d708ab6b05d07e87f5ee7db4805cc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if they are leaving just yet Dave . I'll let you know first if they do . :)

Not sure if they are leaving just yet Dave . I'll let you know first if they do . :)

Thanks Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like any other machine. There are a few essentials and the rest you get as you need it so that you end up with what you need and not a bunch of money tied up in tools you might never use.

Essentials for any machine are cutting tools and work holding.
So for a SG it would be the mag chuck, grinding wheel, wheel holder, Diamond dresser and holder, everything else is getting more specialized for a specific job.

For the mag chuck, weight is not that big of a concern since there is rarely if ever a reason to to remove it once installed. I would get the chuck that matches the machine, a 6x18 machine gets a 6x18 chuck. While I have never yet had to grind a part that big I have needed the area in the setup for the part I was grinding.

Back