Questions about wiring a 115v single phase Baldor motor

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just purchased a 3/4 hp single phase Baldor motor on eBay, which hasn't arrived yet. I need it to rotate counter clockwise when looking at the shaft end. There are three wires sticking out of the motor - green, red, and white. I understand that the green is ground, and it doesn't matter which way the other two connect to the two remaining plug terminals.

The wiring schematic on the motor shows how to reverse the direction, if necessary, but I'm not sure I know how to interpret it. I think Std means clockwise, and Opp means counter-clockwise, but when viewed from which end of the motor? Which diagram do I use to reverse the rotation? The top diagram seems simple enough, but the bottom diagram not so much.

Also, what is the best way to deal with the three wires sticking out of the motor? I'm thinking I should pull off the plastic/nylon connector and wires, and attach the new cord to wherever the old wires were attached.

Baldor motor.jpg Baldor.jpg

Looks like the neutral (typically the white wire) from your source goes to terminal 1, and then the hot (typically the black wire) from your source goes to either terminal 5 or 8 depending on the desired direction. The unused 5 or 8 should be isolated with a wire nut. You also need a ground to the frame.

Green wire? All I see is a black, red and a white wire. This is consistent with the wiring diagram. White is LINE A and either the black or the red is connected to LINE B (which one depends on which is connected to terminals 5 and 8 inside).

I don't know why they go thru the dance of grounded vs. ungrounded lines- must be a code thing.
Just follow the upper diagram and you'll be fine- it's a permanent split-cap motor

Looks green to me, but maybe it is black. If these three wires were previously connected to a three prong 115v plug, which one was the ground?

Use a multimeter and check continuity, frame to each wire, the ground wire should show up

Looks green to me, but maybe it is black. If these three wires were previously connected to a three prong 115v plug, which one was the ground?

It could have been wired to a directional switch. We'll probably have to wait until you actually have the motor in hand to open it up and view the terminal numbers the wires are connected to.

I would dismantle the connector and see what you have before hooking anything up.

Back