Questions about wiring a 115v single phase Baldor motor

The motor came today. I wired it up temporarily to an extension cord with the receptacle end cut off. I connected white to white, red from motor to black from cord, and a wire from a screw on the motor case to the green on the cord. It ran perfectly counter-clockwise, which is what I wanted. The only remaining question since I can't get to the wire connections in the motor, is what is the best way to safely connect the three 2" long wires from the motor to a cord?

wires into motor.jpg

Last edited:
Get a electrical utility box and cover from HomeDepot or wherever. Make or use one the holes in the back of the box to line up with where the wires are, and then two small mounting holes. Then use #31 Marrette wire nuts to connect.

You mean that there is no access plate on the end of the motor? Try looking under the cap housing. It's got to have one somewhere.

There are probably a half dozen ways to splice on a cord, the main idea is you want to fasten the cord somehow to the motor to prevent it getting pulled loose. A simple screw and cable clamp would suffice for a strain relief, in lieu of a junction box
-M

It's all wired up now, and works perfectly. Thank you all!

IMG_4692.JPG

Back