Questions: Lincoln Idealarc Tig-300/300 gtaw welder

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Call me dumb but I've got a couple of questions on the above welder if anyone would like to venture in.

1. Explain the spark intensity knob?

2. Explain the Fine adjustment Current Control knob?
20230429_100322.jpg20230429_100313.jpg20230429_100302.jpg

Spark intensity would adjust the intensity of the high frequency current that helps start the TIG arc without having to "scratch start"
Current adjustment is controlling the heat intensity of the arc that is doing the welding.

My old tig machine did not have the intensity control, the high frequency current was made with a mica capacitor and a spark gap, and transformer, much the same as an old fashioned morse code radio set, it had only one capacitor, thus could only generate one frequency, a radio set would have had a series of capacitors of different frequencies for multiple channels that they used with a selector switch to use whichever one that best suited conditions. I know little about radio, just a bit about high frequency as used in my machine, one time the capacitor went south, and quit working, a good old friend knew what to do and sent me an extra capacitor, and it was fixed, the replacement was a lower frequency than the original, but it still worked OK.

I wrote an old friend and asked him about the high frequency adjustment, if I hear back, I'll share it with you.
John

I have one of these old machines, they weld very well. They have plenty of horse power in them. Owners manual is still available on line. The foot controls for tog are hard to find.

I've had it a long time, even loaned it to lassen college at one point.

I had friends who used these welders exclusively from the early sixties thru late eighties. I watched them as they welded everything from 1/4 inch to .015 inch with this machine. They are bullet proof.

I have had one I bought new just out of high school. Still using it. Mostly for stick welding. It has a duty cycle that will put most inverter types to shame. It’s big heavy and the fan is loud. Even I can run low hydrogen rod on it.

Back