Questions on a A1S-A mill (G1008)

thedarkknightt

Registered
Registered
Evening y'all.

Needless to say I picked up one of these mills that had been sitting for quite some time, and have been tearing into the upper part- repacking bearings, rewiring and tonight...removing an ancient mouse nest and acorns from inside the head and spindle. Oh what joy! I believe it's a 1989 model from what I can tell, and had been out of service for quite some time.

I don't hear much about these mills, and perhaps I'm looking for others experiences with them. I realize these little mills have gone through some updates and new paint schemes, but look to be the same mills in the G6xx series and now the current G0728 thru G0731 series.

Anyone have experience with these, and
What factory actually makes these?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20231115_161326.jpg
    20231115_161326.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 42
Search 6x26 and you'll get lots of hits for that type of machine.

John

I believe the only awkward thing on them is the axis screws are 8 tpi so each turn of the cranks is 0.125" instead of 0.10"
You might want to install a DRO on it. Later models are 10 tpi I think
On some versions you can tilt the head
Otherwise they are pretty hefty and capable
Run it on 220 volts if possible, Y'all :cupcake:

Last edited:
Spend a little extra and get a good vise- a vise that's out of square is very frustrating to use
Some of the imports are ok

Evening y'all.

Needless to say I picked up one of these mills that had been sitting for quite some time, and have been tearing into the upper part- repacking bearings, rewiring and tonight...removing an ancient mouse nest and acorns from inside the head and spindle. Oh what joy! I believe it's a 1989 model from what I can tell, and had been out of service for quite some time.

I don't hear much about these mills, and perhaps I'm looking for others experiences with them. I realize these little mills have gone through some updates and new paint schemes, but look to be the same mills in the G6xx series and now the current G0728 thru G0731 series.

Anyone have experience with these, and
What factory actually makes these?

Thanks

Another Rong Fu copy, I Really like the included cast base.

HF 40939 and Jet jvm 830 is similar as well.
Would have liked a used Bridgeport but rare to find used here.

The biggest limitation I think is the short spindle clearance, Wish someone sold a cast column riser , will eventually make one for my HF.

It is a better choice than the round column version imo. HF's are a Chinese machine, I would prefer a Taiwan made version any data plate on it, maybe you have a Taiwan built unit? Congrats even the HF 1/2 knee can do some work. It does beat a drill press with an XY table mounted.

The data tag doesn't state where it was made. The motor is a Japanese Daihatsu, and all the bearings are Japanese, so I suspect it possibly may indeed be Taiwan made unit. I couldn't argue with the price of the machine, even though it is getting some TLC and a good cat to serve a rat writ.

I really wanted a real Bridgeport, but I believe Providence works in mysterious ways...I don't think we could have handled any bigger mill at all without taking it apart to get it inside, or hurting ourselves.

I really like the 16" knee travel, and the head will pivot right and left and swing around. I greased the frame pivot by lifting the head up slightly with an engine lift and greasing it.

Thank y'all so much for the advice!

Oh, I had an epiphany as to where it was made. It came to me almost like a sign!

Attachments

• 20231129_212143.jpg
    20231129_212143.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
These were sold under a variety of brands, I think Select and Enco sold a version. There were some posts earlier this year or maybe last year from a member who had a similar Select branded mill and posted some of the work they were doing to it.

These also have so.e similarity to the Clausing 8520 and Rockwell 21-100 so ideas for accessories that work on those (vise, DRO, power feed etc) often translate fairly well.

I have a Clausing mill which is similar in size and have found it a very nice size for my little shop.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the quill and spindle with new bearings. I've already dealt with unfreezing the head tilt and swing with lots of oil, and the table is slick and clean.

I pressed out and replaced the bearings in the idler pulley and the spindle top half with new SKFs, and the bottom bearings on the spindle were filled with nasty, rusty grease as the rodent nest on top of the spindle probably caused it.

Qustion: The bearings are just marked 7207b. Don't I need to get a higher grade bearing in order increase the accuracy of runout in the spindle?

Attachments

• 20231203_120150.jpg
    20231203_120150.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231203_120143.jpg
    20231203_120143.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1
Here it is cleaned, but before removing the bearings.

Attachments

• 20231203_180223.jpg
    20231203_180223.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 2
Back