Quick and dirty fix.

The problem in this case is that you quite literally can't see what you are doing. Fortunately, running the power cross feed in reverse isn't done much. I wonder what part would break?

Robert D.

Hi Robert, I use my power cross feed quite often in reverse when facing a large piece and when milling/fly cutting.

For milling I use a Myford milling attachment fitted to an Atlas 'turret lathe' slotted cross slide, this cross slide is the wrong shape for the 'uncoupling system' to work, I found this out the hard way!

All that happened was that the cross slide hit the crank handle, which jammed the whole thing up tight, luckily one belt was loose enough to slip so there was no more damage than a very slightly wobbly crank handle due to the lead screw getting bent, almost unnoticeable though and not worth trying to straighten in case that makes it worse.

It was quite a struggle getting it unjammed.

Tighter belts might have meant more broken parts, because the sacrificial traverse lead screw bearing would not have failed safe as the half nuts weren't engaged.

My old man used to say 'It doesn't matter what you do in life as long as you learn something every day' I learned very quickly that day!

Bernard

The problem in this case is that you quite literally can't see what you are doing. Fortunately, running the power cross feed in reverse isn't done much. I wonder what part would break?

Robert D.

I dont use the cross feed much and even when I do I have my cutter moving in not out but even then I know how much travel the compound has and I just stop short. Ray

Ray,

OK.

Bernard,

If you mean the #9-671 or L6-671 slide for the Atlas or Craftsman Cross Slide Turret, I have the former, With both tool posts and stops. I haven't had mine on the machine yet but setting it across the saddle and lining up the cross feed nut hole with the screw head on the regular cross slide, it looks as though the front will just clear the ball on the crank with the nut free of the threads on the cross feed screw. But I'm glad that you mentioned this as I will certainly check that clearance first time I use it.

Does yours have two T-slots on top (one left to right and one front to back) or three (two front to back)?

Robert D.

Ray, mine is 1 1/4" longer than the normal slide measuring from the nut screw to the front. So maybe mine is a L6-671, the L meaning long ?

DSCF7794.JPG

Bernard

DSCF7794.JPG

No, you have the 9-671, like mine. The L6-671 has two parallel slots at the front.

I've always assumed that "L" was for "Lathe". Which doesn't explain why so many 618 part numbers start with "M6". The Atlas part numbering system apparently went through versions over the years. 9" parts mostly began with "9". 10" with "10", then "10D" and then "10F". The "L" first appears in 1937 on parts for the 101.07400, 101.07380 and 101.07360. Don't know why they didn't use "12", "12A", etc.

Back to the subject at hand, my 9-671 is also 1-1/4" longer than the standard cross slide, measured from the cross feed nut mounting hole. But I have a 3996. The cross feed crank may be slightly farther away from the end of the threads. Most of the part numbers in the carriage and cross slide are different between your lathe and mine. In your case, I think that I would cut a little off of the front of the turret cross slide.

Robert D.

Back