Quick-change Tool Post For Rockwell Lathe

hcdozier

ELGIN HM-5C Mill
Registered
I have a friend who has an old Rockwell lathe he acquired a while back from a high school shop auction.
It is a Rockwell Series number 25-42x with a serial number of 1696402.

I have been discussing with him upgrading it to a quick-change tool post from the old lantern post it presently has in order to speed up machining with it now that I have repaired several issues it had.

But I have NO documentation on this lathe and therefore what type of QCTP would fit its cross-slide.

If anyone out on this forum has some information on this old lathe and what type(s) of QCTP would fit it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for replies here.

H. Dozier

QCTP's are rated by the swing of the lathe or the distance from the center of the spindle to the top of the lathe bed. According to the Shars catalog:

AXA - 6" - 12"
BXA - 10" - 13"
CXA - 13" - 18"
DXA - 14" - 20"

I have a Rockwell 10 x 36 with a BXA on it. Probably should have gone with the AXA, but the BXA is certainly very rigid on my machine.

Bruce

QCTP's are rated by the swing of the lathe or the distance from the center of the spindle to the top of the lathe bed. According to the Shars catalog:

AXA - 6" - 12"
BXA - 10" - 13"
CXA - 13" - 18"
DXA - 14" - 20"

I have a Rockwell 10 x 36 with a BXA on it. Probably should have gone with the AXA, but the BXA is certainly very rigid on my machine.

Bruce
Bruce....

Thanks for the information.
Regarding the differences in AXA and BXA as to mounting on the cross-slide.
I think my friend's lathe is very similar to yours, as the 25-42X is listed as a 10" x 36" lathe in what I can find for information.
Did you have to modify the cross-slide for the BXA? Do you know if a n AXA would fit in the slot for the lantern post without modifications as well?
I guess I need to know this stuff as this is not my lathe so it is up to my friend to decide if he will allow an upgrade and or course machining the cross-slide is something I would need to discuss with him.

Thanks.

Hank Dozier

You generally need to machine the QCTP bolt to fit your cross slide slot. They're made oversized to fit any lathe, rather than being finished to fit a specific machine.

Mike...

I guess that is the information I needed in addition to whether an AXA or BXA QCTP would fit.

Now to the task....

Thanks for the help.

Hank Dozier

Bruce....

Thanks for the information.
Regarding the differences in AXA and BXA as to mounting on the cross-slide.
I think my friend's lathe is very similar to yours, as the 25-42X is listed as a 10" x 36" lathe in what I can find for information.
Did you have to modify the cross-slide for the BXA? Do you know if a n AXA would fit in the slot for the lantern post without modifications as well?
I guess I need to know this stuff as this is not my lathe so it is up to my friend to decide if he will allow an upgrade and or course machining the cross-slide is something I would need to discuss with him.

Thanks.

Hank Dozier

Hi Hank,

Mike is correct, you'll have to machine the nut for the QCTP to fit your compound. I've purchases 2 QCTP's in the past and received a steel plate with a centrally threaded hole in each. I measured the width of the compound T-nut slot at the base and at the top. Need to know the depths also. You'll want to leave the top of your machined T-nut below the top surface of the compound.

Bruce

Back