Quick Change Tool Post package for 6" Atlas lathe

shoeboxpaul

Active User
Registered
Hi,
Hope this has not been flogged to death and I missed the thread. Has anyone tried the QCTP package from Little Machine Shop? I think it is a piston type made of aluminum.
Here is the web address:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3514

My tooling is limited and this looks to be a real problem solver. My main concern is about the QCTP and the tool holders, not the tooling. Does the piston keep the holders held firmly or does it work loose? Any drawbacks? What about customer service after purchasing?
Thanks,
Paul

6" lathe can be nice with an AXA (100) size post. I do not think I'd like an AL tool post though. LMS is a good reputable dealer, but in this case the kit isn't a bargain.

Steve

I would think an axa would fit a 6" atlas. I don't know for sure if it will fit but with 1/2" tooling you need the center to be > .950" or .7" with 1/4" etc, above the compound to run an axa without mod'ing the tool holders..

CDCOtools.com has some good pricing but some people have had problems with them though I have been happy with them. Ebay has the starter sets also

http://www.aloris.com/catalog/aloris_p2-3.pdf for actual dimensions.

Most posts need to have the T nut cut to fit the slot in the compound and there are several threads on this forum with different ways to do it, if you need help finding them let me know. It isn't difficult but if you'd rather not you can probably talk one of us into making one for you.

Steve

Hi,
Hope this has not been flogged to death and I missed the thread. Has anyone tried the QCTP package from Little Machine Shop? I think it is a piston type made of aluminum.
Here is the web address:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3514

My tooling is limited and this looks to be a real problem solver. My main concern is about the QCTP and the tool holders, not the tooling. Does the piston keep the holders held firmly or does it work loose? Any drawbacks? What about customer service after purchasing?
Thanks,
Paul

CDCO provided my AXA Piston Tool post and starter set of tool holders... I added another 8 tool holders for a total of 13 to have my most often tools preset and ready.

The tool post was an easy to disassemble, modify and fit to my compound rest. It is hardened tool steel though, so if you need to cut a boss on the bottom... it can be a bit tricky depending on what you have available.

The AXA comes with large flat nut to be machined as needed for YOUR setup, and it uses a 9/16" center bolt.
I chose to machine the compound somewhat for a larger T nut base, and then machined the AXA nut to fit the new larger opening in the compound. This allowed me to use the larger 9/16 center bolt that came with the AXA.. otherwise, there are "chicago" bolts that can be had for some machines to adapt the smaller OEM center bolt used in that machines compound rest with the larger ID bored AXA tool post and locking nut..

As for issues with CDCO,, the only ones I've read about are on returns, as I have not made a return in the 6 orders purchased I can not support CDCO or speak ill of them on this issue.. I can only say,,, I received serviceable items in all 6 orders, fast at fair price.

I purchased that QCTP from LMS about a year ago for my Atlas 618. I had to modify the post that adapts to the compound slightly and being anodized aluminum the holder can slip on the compound..LMS notes this and says to put a piece of paper under it before clamping down. Works fine. Most of my work is in brass, aluminum and small diameter steel to make tools and parts for clock repair, so I am not trying to hog a lot of metal ..not that my little Atlas is great at that anyway. I have been very satisfied with the QCTP for the types of work that I do. I haven't had to use their customer service after sale.

I wouldn't over think this. I used that same one on my 6" Atlas and found it worked extremely well and was a good size for the machine. The USA made A2Z quality is very nice and on par with Aloris for it's size and any China made one would be a big step down. Here are my thoughts. A AXA would be way too large for the machine and would severely limit what you could do if it would work at all. Same thing for any tooling over 3/8". The A2Z is aluminum and yes steel is stronger but I can guarantee that something else on a Atlas 6" is going to flex long before this square block of aluminum or the piston does. These machines are nice but they do have limitations and the A2Z tool post is more than adequate. Mine stayed very tight and solid even when knurling and it was the best thing I could have done for my 618.
EDIT. One thing I didn't like was the T nut (actually a O nut ) that was provided with it. It was kind of light weight but it was designed so that it could be easily adapted to your compound by using your own lathe to machine it. Most AXAs come with a big flat chunk of steel that requires quite a bit of machining on a mill. atlas 618 (1).jpg

atlas 618 (1).jpg

I think an AXA would be way big for a 618.
I bought the A2Z set for mine when Toolsforcheap.com had some 2nds for $50
Looks very nice though I have not fitted it as yet.

CDNN is cheapest on the AXA sets.

Ditto on the A2Z nice solid product that does all that it should...put one on my 618 a few years back and I really am happy with it...

Thanks everyone,
I will take a more thorough look at the AXA100. Right now, it may be more than I want to do. The dimensions are larger.
Tripletap3, the A2Z looks nice and rock solid. I am inclined to agree with the "O-nut" being less than expected. I questioned it as soon as I saw the picture. Since the A2Z is made from aluminum and anodized, I am wondering if the 1/4"-20 post clamping bolt is the reason for the slippage David has experienced. Going to a 1/4"-28 by installing a heli-coil in the T-nut might help with clamping pressure. Changing the nut to a steel unit would have to help; possibly increasing the bolt diameter if there is room. I will cross that bridge if I opt for the A2Z - and only if it slips. Sandpaper may be a cure but, it doesn't seem like it is the best route to travel. One seller on eBay is offering what I call the basic kit - QCTP with tool holders - for the same price as Little Machine but, with free shipping. He has none of the extras for sale.
All input is appreciated.
Paul

Back