Quick Change Tool Post Question

I have a piston type Grizzly 200 size that came with my lathe. Had it not come with the machine I most likely would have bought a wedge type. But a bit of fitting and I have been happy with the Griz toolpost and I most likely will not wear it out and it wont get replaced.

Multifix type post and tool holders. Check them out. Arguably better repeatability than the wedge type systems. I've got a Multifix setup I got from Create Tool in China. I like it way more than my wedge type Phase II system. I think over time I'll come to love it. If you're going to spend the $ on an Aloris or Dorian setup than you owe it to yourself to check a Multifix system out.

I have used aloris holders at work for years and they stand up to all kinds of use and abuse I have an enco set at home could not justify the of the higher price at home for hobby use. the enco set works well at home where it doesn't get the abuse of multiple users. enco stuff works good. all are wedge type have not used piston type. there is another type I used at the shipyard, kirklie blocks you can see them on ebay. this type you can make yourself. I did and used them on my enco lathe. no difficult machining of this type (internal dovetails) I don't think most people will be able to see a difference in usage. ge what you can justify and or afford.

Back