Quick Change tooling for PM25

Using a collet to hold a tool has the problem of variable seating depth.

Its a manual machine, Tool depth isn't all that important, but putting a .047 drill in a chuck after removing a 3/16 spot drill tends to put the drill in crooked. this won't happen with quick change tooling.
I use the Ultron Snap Change tool changer

I looked at that, again, my shop doesn't generate money, so I'm looking for really inexpensive tooling. If I can fabricate something from material I have on hand, my cost is zero. The work needed is entertainment for myself.

Also a fan of the TTS holders. I grabbed a 3MT to 3/4" end mill adapter and use them in my lathe as well. They will wear out faster this way with a set screw pushing into the money surface (need to stone them here and there), but they're cheap enough that I do not care.

I'm drawing up an R8 base with a holder/driver in the end and numerous tool holders (collets) that will fit into the R8 and somehow snap or be quickly clamped into place, ie., spot drill,. tap drill, tap. I'm talking 4-40 or 5-40, nothing large. I haven't solved the problem of holding the tool unit in place, but something will come.
You might want to look at the tool holders Dave Decaussin made for his UMC-10 mill. It uses the R8 taper and a pedal clamp similar to the BT30 tool holders. Sounds like you might be able to make something similar.

These are them.

Its a manual machine, Tool depth isn't all that important, but putting a .047 drill in a chuck after removing a 3/16 spot drill tends to put the drill in crooked. this won't happen with quick change tooling.

I looked at that, again, my shop doesn't generate money, so I'm looking for really inexpensive tooling. If I can fabricate something from material I have on hand, my cost is zero. The work needed is entertainment for myself.

Understood. However, I picked up my system for $150 used. I added a few tool holders as needed. Craigslist and eBay can be your friend.

Back