Quick & Dirty Speedy Bridgeport Drawbar

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Until I can decide what kind of power drawbar to buy, I came up with this approach to attaching and removing R-8 tooling.

A Milwaukee right angle attachment and 3/8" drive cordless impact wrench provide just the right amount of torque to easily seat and unseat my tooling. If I don't overdo it when tightening, the tooling will come out without the use of a rubber hammer. If the hammer is needed - no big deal.

Attachments

• bar1.JPG
    bar1.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 84
  • bar3.JPG
    bar3.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 70
  • bar4.JPG
    bar4.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 80
Like that a lot!

The use of a right angle impact driver makes this easier still. The trigger of the Milwaukee unit shown rests against the head of the mill. This allows you hold it near the bottom and give it a slight nudge to operate the trigger.

Attachments

• Cheap power drawbar.JPG
    Cheap power drawbar.JPG
    380.6 KB · Views: 35
I store the impact driver in a holster made from a section of shop vac tube.

Attachments

• IMG_9107.JPG
    IMG_9107.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 34
I’ve never seen a right angle gadget. Cool

I have a couple of vintage Craftsman right angle adapters. Probably the same as this one:

Mine has 3/8-24 female threads on both ends and includes a double-ended male thread adapter. You can screw the female thread directly onto the male thread on the drill motor, then use the double-male adapter to mount the chuck on the other end of the 90. Mine has a 2:1 gear ratio, so I can use it to either slow down or speed up the chuck.

Lots of other versions out there. Nearly all of them are meant for 1/4" hex screwdriver bits.

Back