Quick fun project turns into more

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I made some rough plastic V blocks long ago to hold the tube hand guard of an AR15 while I drilled for a bipod stud. They have been sitting around the shop for ages so i decided to re-cut them a bit nicer.

First i cut them to the same dimensions on my mill and cut a center clearance slot. This critter looking thing came out as I slotted the center.

20230122_101459.jpg

I decide to set them up on my adjustable angle plate for the angled part. My only easy option was to use a mi-tee bite and parallel to hold it snug and tapped the blocks down before the cut. The slots were wide enough on the bottom for regular 12mm stud t-nuts but not up top. I modified one nut to work and got the job done.

I flipped the block to keep the cut as identical as possible

20230122_111426.jpg

After some quick measurements i realized if i open up the top of my slots to 0.540" i could use my 12mm T-nuts. Good thing i dialed it the table when i mounted it. Lol.

20230122_120110.jpg

It's a great snowy day to be in the shop!

Made a similar V-block recently (from Al) and just clamped it in the vise with a v-block against the fixed jaw to handle orientation. Worked great - obviously limited to smaller sizes, but I think we're in the same ballpark.

GsT

Made a similar V-block recently (from Al) and just clamped it in the vise with a v-block against the fixed jaw to handle orientation. Worked great - obviously limited to smaller sizes, but I think we're in the same ballpark.

GsT
The plastic is so.....plastic. I did like you the first time and got good enough for the job, but they were not as flat as I wanted. They are still not perfect. They are light years better than the were.

Back