Quick question: which steel alloy should I buy, and why?

I like 12L14 if it doesn't need to be hardened. Machines and taps very nicely. Otherwise I use O-1 for things I'm going to harden. My problem with that is my hardening process is rather crude & if high precision is required I lack a surface grinder. But I haven't really suffered much from distorting during heat treatment. I bought a no name deburring wheel that works well for cleaning up any discoloration and polishing up the end result. It is a P7 hardness, works well but is messy. Note that an 8" wheel is not supposed to be run at 3750rpm.

You could use round peices and square up the ends. Might give you more material options.

Thanks for the advice gents! I can always rely on you guys to give me good advice.
I was rummaging around my metal scrap heap, and I found a few pieces of 1/8"-square keyway stock, 12" long! I've decided to give the keyway stock a try, and see how it holds up. In the meantime, I've ordered a pack of 50 1-72 allen head cap screws (1/2" long), and a 1-72 plug tap from McMaster-Carr. The keyway stock seems like a reasonable material to try, since I just found out I already have it! Later, I can always buy some 1/8"-square O-1 ground stock if I decide it needs to be sturdier.

Larry$, I suspect I wouldn't need to harden my O-1 if used for what I need it for - just work holding. I keep watching Clickspring videos on YouTube and wanting to try my hand at hardening, but I never get around to it.

ddickey, your idea of using round stock is a good one. Unfortuately I don't have my milling machine anymore - had to sell it to move cross-country. My current dream is to buy a Sherline milling machine. I sure liked my Little Machine Shop mill!

I just checked prices of OnlineMetals.com vs. McMaster-Carr, and they both supply 18" lengths, which is plenty for my needs. The tool I'm envisioning will likely be a rarely-used one, but essential for when I need it kind of thing. All I need to make a completed tool is 5"... 4" for the main secction, and 1" for the other grooved half. The leftover material can be used for another size tap, I suppose.
I checked Hudson Tool Steel, but they're requiring a minimum $150.00 purchase for precision ground flat stock! I don't think so!
Thanks for the suggestion of Midwest Steel Supply... I've got them bookmarked now! I'm in Wichita Kansas, so a midwest source is a good thing for me. I'm just a small-time retired guy who wishes he'd paid more attention in machine shop, so I like to save money whenever possible.

Glad I could help, it's always nice to have multiple sources for materials since the prices can be vastly different each time you look.

When I heat treated my threading tool, I followed the advise of someone on here to heat until it was no longer magnetic and then quench in oil. I tempered at about 350F for a half hour and it has lasted 4-5 threading jobs and still going strong. If you want something tougher and not as hard, then tempering it at a higher temperature would be appropriate.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your version of that when you get it finished.

Glad I could help, it's always nice to have multiple sources for materials since the prices can be vastly different each time you look.

When I heat treated my threading tool, I followed the advise of someone on here to heat until it was no longer magnetic and then quench in oil. I tempered at about 350F for a half hour and it has lasted 4-5 threading jobs and still going strong. If you want something tougher and not as hard, then tempering it at a higher temperature would be appropriate.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your version of that when you get it finished.
Well, the necessary parts (the #1-72 x 1/2" screws, the #1-72 tap, and 18" of ground O-1 steel) are supposed to deliver this coming Wednesday. So depending on how family scheduling goes after that, I'll have my "keystock" prototype completed and photos posted here soon afterward! More likely right after Christmas, though.
MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!

I'm with MrWhoopee on this one, at that size it probably won't matter, but working with tool steel is a good exercise.

I know that you're making this already (and it'll be super cute when you're done) bit another option for small taps is a 1/4" drill chuck on a straight arbor. Gives you a good amount of feel and less torque with which took break a tap. Working hurt to have both to be honest :)

I'm with MrWhoopee on this one, at that size it probably won't matter, but working with tool steel is a good exercise.

I know that you're making this already (and it'll be super cute when you're done) bit another option for small taps is a 1/4" drill chuck on a straight arbor. Gives you a good amount of feel and less torque with which took break a tap. Working hurt to have both to be honest :)
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I forgot that I have a tailstock runner with an Albrecht chuck already mounted. My memory is starting to fail me, and since we moved into a new house (and that included a new workshop), I have some tooling I have yet to unpack!
Still, I plan to make a few iterations of my original project when the materials arrive, including the tool steel version. It will keep me busy for a little while!

Thanks for the suggestion of Midwest Steel Supply... I've got them bookmarked now! I'm in Wichita Kansas, so a midwest source is a good thing for me.
You might call S&S Alloys up in Tonganoxie then. They supply Honeywell's top-secret shop up in KC, and keep some epically weird stuff in stock. They can get damn near anything, and are pretty resonable on price.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I forgot that I have a tailstock runner with an Albrecht chuck already mounted. My memory is starting to fail me, and since we moved into a new house (and that included a new workshop), I have some tooling I have yet to unpack!
Still, I plan to make a few iterations of my original project when the materials arrive, including the tool steel version. It will keep me busy for a little while!
Absolutely, it'll be a cool project and it never hurts to have multiple options/ tools for the job

I plan to hand-file very small V-notches onto one of the surfaces.

Assuming you have a mill, why would you hand file it? Just clamp it in your vise at a 45 degree angle and use an ordinary end mill. You could do both at the same time.

Best,
Kelly

Back