Quicky project for a newbe

etoymaker

Registered
Registered
I just took delivery of a Grizzly 11 X 27 lathe. I've had a metal lathe of one type or another for better than 40 years. My question is, I've got a friend coming for a visit in about a month and I'd like to let him try and make something on the lathe. I need a simple project we can make in a couple of hours that he can take home. I need some ideas. The only thing I've been able to come up with is a hammer head out of some brass 3/4" hex stock I have on hand.
Ideas please, we're both in our mid-70's so no toys. HELP!!!!
etoymaker
(I make wood toys for the grandkids)

How about a plumb bob, set of drift punches, slide hammer.

Do the "impossible nut". It's addictive and he can show his friends. May take about an hour or less. Details on lots of Internet posts on how to make.

Do the "impossible nut". It's addictive and he can show his friends. May take about an hour or less. Details on lots of Internet posts on how to make.

Tried GOOGLE and YAHOO search and could not find anything on "impossible nut" except a youtube flick but no plans.??!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a great project but I don't have a mill to cut the slots. I'll make one for myself when I'll have time to drill and file the slot.

Google "captive nut".......I think you'll find a good description.

Back