Quieting an Air Compressor

My vertical tank compressor is on rubber, bolted down too and vented outside as well. It's still pretty loud but at least it is inside where it is warm.

Am I allowed to follow up with compressor questions or must I start a new thread

Yes, no problem at all. And since you are the OP of this thread it really doesn't matter if you choose ask other off topic questions.

Has anyone tried wrapping/gluing rubber mat around the tank?

Has anyone tried wrapping/gluing rubber mat around the tank?

I haven't but I don't think that would do much for noise. Most of the noise comes from the pump air intake, pump, & motor. Some people route the intake high up or out to another room. I switched to Solberg pancake air filter & that made a big difference for noise compared to my stock air box. My compressor is still loud though.

If you look at commercial "quiet" models they have an insulated enclosure around the pump & motor. If you do try to build an enclosure be sure if has sufficient air flow to prevent overheating.

Cushioned feet doesn't reduce noise that much unless it was sitting directly on concrete or something vibrating on the floor.

Cathead, How did you "hook in" to the Air Filter covers?

I took off the air cleaner and welded and machined a fitting that fits the compressor on one end and
to 1.5 inch pipe threads on the other and plumbed it overhead and out the wall. The air filter is outside on the wall.

I went to a Harbor Freight "Ultra Quiet" air compressor. The 1.5HP is real quiet and good for all my general purpose needs. Rarely turn on the big one anymore, just use it as a pony tank.

Hi Mike, Yes that was the plan, opinions?

Countersink a large diameter hole in the bottom of the puck for a large diameter washer. Then put a big washer on top of the puck under the leg of the compressor (Edit: If the big washer on top of the puck was the same diameter as the puck it would distribute the weight of the compressor over the entire puck minimizing the chance that the washer would cut into the puck around the washer edges). Would the puck eventually tear and put the compressor in an out of balance situation? If the countersunk hole in the bottom of the puck was relatively shallow and the puck does tear will the compressor remain upright with just the meat of the puck what is sandwiched between the two washers?

I would give it a try. I would probably have a plan in case the puck should rip. A cable from the motor/pump to a stud in the wall just in case? That would probably be overkill though? (Edit: as long as the top washer is the same diameter as the puck and there isn't much chance for the puck to rip I think "I" would feel comfortable with not anchoring the motor/pump to the wall).

What are your thoughts?

One of the things I am planning on doing with my big vertical tank compressor when I place it in it's home is remove the drain cock and replace it with a elbow compression fitting, copper tubing and a valve on the end of the copper tubing. I figure the tank will get drained MUCH more often if the drain valve is easy to get to. I figured I would mount/strap the remote drain valve to one of the legs to secure it. Climbing under the big compressor to open the drain cock doesn't sound like something I am likely to do very often.

Last edited:
Back