Quill Down Feed On Bridgeport

What is teh adjustable quill screw? the quill stop? I'll go check that too.

There is a feed stop at the top and bottom when bottom is set. That is why you need to lower the quill from top slightly to engage. This way you can bore up, down or both ways.

What is teh adjustable quill screw? the quill stop? I'll go check that too

The screw on the front of the quill with the ring that travels down it and moves with the quill down leaver. The nut that's threaded on it is the quill stop. You adjust the nut height to stop the auto feed when the ring hits it and pushes it and the screw down and that unlatches the feed(trips the left side handle in)

134 moves with the quill. 133 is the adjustable stop nut(when 134 runs into it the auto feed leaver is disengaged).
The latch I think is 147,148,149
95-100 & 116-119 are parts to look at to.

Ok y'all, I disassembled everything I figure that would have to do with it.
This is what I found
IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG IMG_4274.JPG

#147 reverse trip ball lever definately busted, but no broken off part to be found. It should look like this
1033-03.jpg

This is the #118 feed trip lever, this one is haggard up pretty good
IMG_4270.JPGIMG_4271.JPG IMG_4272.JPG IMG_4273.JPG

So I cleaned the nasty parts and reassembled every thing and to my amazement, it locks into place !!
I don't know what that ball lever does, must only be used during power feed operation. Also the #90
feed reverse knob was MIA, they retail for $21 plus shipping, took 10 minutes to whittle out this one.

I appreciate all y'all's help here fellas. I'll get the little ball lever ordered up. Hopefully someone can tell me how to install the new one when it comes in.

Mutt

IMG_4283.JPG

Isn't there a way to lock the handwheel (where the stub is for the power up/down feed), so you can rotate it and it moves the quill up and down without the quill just dropping if the quill lock isn't depressed?

If the quill just drops, the return spring is broken. Sounds like you have the rest of it under control.

I pulled the quill handle and woodruff key, then the spring housing. the coil spring is fine. I got to wonder, WHY did Bridgeport make it where ya wind the spring clockwise ????? That puts the tension pushing the quill DOWN. If ya try to wind it CCW, so it would put UPWARDS pressure on the quill, there is nothing to keep the spring in place (I think the spring holding pin must be # 138, but it will only hold in the CW direction? Did maybe the last owner mess up and put the spring in backwards?

Did maybe the last owner mess up and put the spring in backwards?

Maybe;) The spring should want to rotate the quill pinion shaft in the CW direction.

Be careful if you want to flip it around, there is a lot of stored energy in that spring. I have rewound them but be careful, a wooden box, or tool box makes a pretty good capture container when working on it. You can buy new ones, with the cartridge, for about $30 on ebay.

Back