Quill DRO

lascat

Registered
Registered
Been loving my PM25, making all kinds of progress. I have a few questions for you all.

On the Quill DRO, does it light up or is there an option for this?

Also on this Quill DRO, of course there are Power, In/MM and Zero buttons. But there are an Up and Down buttons. What and how are they used?

Thanks, Lastcat

I don't have one of those models but I highly doubt there is a light. I've never seen any of these quill DROs have a light.

The arrows are for inputing a datum offset.

I don't have one of those models but I highly doubt there is a light. I've never seen any of these quill DROs have a light.

The arrows are for imputing a datum offset.

Thanks Darkzero. I've been over the pdf manual and not sure of the up/down functions, yet.
Hopefully get a reply from PM themselves.

Have you tried holding down one of the arrow buttons for a period of time or the on/zero button? I'm assuming a button has to be long pressed to enter the datum input mode if the arrow buttons don't do anything by themselves. Or maybe pressing both arrows simultaneously?

Yes. Pressing and holding up arrow, moving quill, nothing. Haven't tried holding both, hmmm.... let's go see....

Works!

Thanks for your help Darkzero.

Solved. Holding the Up Arrow at a set depth, you can Subtract from the current Datum on the Quill DRO. Say I have set my tool into the part at .060" and after measuring, it's actually .055". If I hold the Up Arrow to read .055 (which subtracts .005 from .060) then I know my true .060 will be .005 lower into the part. So instead of changing my depth to a new .065, I can rely on the new depth of change, to .060 by holding the Up Arrow.

The opposite for the Down Arrow.

Interesting, Maybe when cutting in 2 or more different Z Datums, I can be assured the height between all is correct and not have to change all my calculated depths by adding .005 (or whatever) to each Z depth. Intense use. Usually I would just set the final depth to Zero and if I move the table to a new Z depth, I would cut, check and measure. Probably good use for production.

Pic for reference.

Attachments

• Arrows.jpg
    Arrows.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 100
I just had to replace the coin battery on my PM-25MV quill DRO because I was careless and left it turned on.

Back