Quirky Atlas mods

Jwmay,

Are you referring to the 12" with the 8' bed?

The only other obvious mod that I see is the roller at the bottom left front corner and I assume the matching one in the rear.
Did you edit my post to include the above statement? I didn’t type it, but a moderator added it. I assumed it was you.
@wa5cab look at the headstock and tailstock. They’ve been lifted too. This is at least a 13” swing.
I wrote the above in reply. And pictures below are what I was talking about.

But to whomever did edit my post with additional commentary, it makes more sense to “reply to thread” under your own name, than to add your thoughts under my header.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpeg
    IMG_1992.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 19
This is all I said. A moderator added the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 11
Atlas made a version of the later 12" lathes that was used to repair offset press rollers in the printing trade. It didn't have a quick change gearbox, power cross-feed, and some other features. I've also seen a support that mounted to the bed sort of like a steady rest, except it was one piece with a ball bearing for the support, instead of adjustable fingers.

Atlas made a version of the later 12" lathes that was used to repair offset press rollers in the printing trade.

Those would have had this badge. If you search the web, you will find pictures.

s-l1600.jpg

There's a machine seller/recycler in Milstadt, IL that has/had a few of them. They are based upon a Craftsman Commercial Lathe with 54" bed. I got one of the stands from him, but he wants a King's ransom for those now. They are a long way from being usable as a lathe. About the only thing you'd get is the bed and headstock.

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
Here's a variant that I found at an estate sale. This is an Atlas quick change gear box modified by Tektronix as a coil winder. I purchased this for a freind who had used one at Tektronix in the 70"s.

Tim

Attachments

• Atla coil winder tek tag.jpg
    Atla coil winder tek tag.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Atlas Tek coil winder.jpg
    Atlas Tek coil winder.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 36
Here’s a 6”, with a home made qcgb.
This one is for sale on Facebook marketplace for $600 in Martinsville Indiana. Looks real nice, and I’d love to see it in person.
Again, not really a quirky mod. But it’s cool I think.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpeg
    IMG_2047.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 40
FWIW, the original model was a Craftsman 101.07301, not an Atlas 618. Note the split in the front bearing housing. The QCGB could be home-brew but is more likely an after-market commercial add-on such as O'brian.

Somebody needed a smidge more swing I reckon. IMG_2486.jpegIMG_2485.jpegIMG_2484.jpeg

Back