R8 collet

rzw0wr

Registered
Registered
I have some cheap R8 collets that came with my machine.
They are new however they let the cutter slip under a heavy load.

Is this normal for a collet?

What is a decent collet to buy?

Thanks,
Dale

How much torque are you using on the drawbar? 30 lb-ft of torque is recommended by Tormach for the their machines with 40 -60 lb-ft for more demanding work.

How much torque are you using on the drawbar? 30 lb-ft of torque is recommended by Tormach for the their machines with 40 -60 lb-ft for more demanding work.

Bridgeport is similar recommending 40 ft. lbs. on the drawbar. Keep in mind the largest end mill Bridgeport recommends using is 3/4". I have used up to 1 1/4" end mills in an end mill holder, but that was for plastic or aluminum.

The biggest problem I’ve had with collets, is either the collet or the shank of the end mill are not clean, no oils or grease on either surface.

It is possible that your drawbar threads are bottoming out in the collets before tightening on the work? Something as simple as a spacer washer under the drawbar, decreasing the effective length, can cure the problem.

Last edited:
You say they are NEW - is there a chance you didn't clean them on the inside contact surfaces and they have protective OIL from the Mfg for storage & shipping that needs to be removed.

Back