R8 Spindle Mini-Mills

I have the LMS version, much more solid column.

I have an LMS 3990, solid column & air spring.

I had an LMS3990 and liked it, but it was a little too small for my needs.

have had my LMS3990 for over 4 years.

Had a LMS 3990 that did very well.

I have the LMS unit with R8 spindle table feed and magnetic scale DRO. Going on 8 years.

Ok you talked me out of the tilting column! I can see where that could create a problem.

I have the MicroLux mill and I'm converting mine to the LMS solid post. Also, the MicroLux arrives in 4 boxes (IIRC) and requires assembly. Plus a lot of cleaning. I believe the LMS mill just needs the handwheels to be installed. But the LMS mill also arrives by freight while I think UPS delivered my MicroLux.

if you have a vehicle that the mill (or lathe) will fit in LMS will drop ship to terminal near you for a better price..

if you have a vehicle that the mill (or lathe) will fit in LMS will drop ship to terminal near you for a better price..
Thanks, that's good to know!

I've kind of talked myself out of the mini-mill style machines & will keep saving up for a larger bench mill.
Something like the LMS 6700 or the PM727V would probably be more like what I need!

The challenge would be getting it down into my basement, but I've seen several videos of it being done by disassembling the machine.

They will also bring to Cabin Fever for a discounted rate (that’s how I got mine - stripped from the pallet a 3990 fits in an Equinox).

Thanks, that's good to know!

I've kind of talked myself out of the mini-mill style machines & will keep saving up for a larger bench mill.
Something like the LMS 6700 or the PM727V would probably be more like what I need!

The challenge would be getting it down into my basement, but I've seen several videos of it being done by disassembling the machine.
I took the column off of my 3990 to make it easier for us the move (I was going to add a riser block anyway).

However, I agree with saving for (and/or waiting for a sale) a larger Bench Mill: added rigidity, separate Head & Quill, larger table all without too much larger footprint. I wish I had done this many times.

I have a Harbor Freight Mini Mill with a tilt column and it is an excellent machine. To make it an excellent machine took a great deal of work though. I hand scraped it in. I added Dro's to all 3 axis'. I replaced the spindle bearings with good quality shielded angular contact bearings. I added steppers to the X and Z to use as power feeds. I made a solid base I bolted it too, then bolted the base to a homemade mill stand. I added a 1' steel plate to the column which I bolted to the base to add rigidty. I re-wired the electronics so I could move the housing off the column. I added a tachometer and voltmeter so I could monitor motor load. I plumbed it for air or mist. I fixed all of the excessive play in the hand wheels. All in I ended up with a very capable and reliable machine. I'm a hobbyist though, so doing all the work to make it precise and repeatable was the fun part. If you need a mill to actually make money keep looking.

Last edited:

I added steppers to the X and Z to use as power feeds.

I have a box of parts to do this for my LMS one of these days. I figured I’d be on my own, but did you find existing plans or software anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a box of parts to do this for my LMS one of these days. I figured I’d be on my own, but did you find existing plans or software anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMS sells plans to convert an x2/sx2 style mill to cnc. Fignoggle.com claims to sell plans for both the X2 and X3 but you'd need to check -- their web site doesn't appear to have been updated since 2017.

Back