Race Mower Project

Bill, thanks for bringing us along 'for the ride'. I am enjoying your project tremendously.
How important is tire choice and are there many different tires to choose from?

My old rider mower has a rigidly mounted front axle like that,and it s always getting stuck when a drive tire lifts ...........I was gonna pivot the front,but someone here suggested a truck spring leaf as the centre part of the axle,and that is still rigid mount ,no complication with the steering.(Its centre pivot tiller)

Bill, you know there is a way to cheat, you can use a truck leaf spring in the middle of the front axle and you'll get limited suspension travel that can make all the difference.
I built racing kart motors for several years as a business. Whenever someone came to me and wanted a cheater motor for their kid I would ask them how it would feel if their kid took first place and then got disqualified for cheating.

Bill has the right idea here, build it strong and help your competitors to do the same. I guarantee his grandkids will have way more fun coming in third in a big field than running away in first place with nobody even close. Racing should build skills AND character :encourage:

John

Bill, thanks for bringing us along 'for the ride'. I am enjoying your project tremendously.
How important is tire choice and are there many different tires to choose from?
I’m sure tire choice would be important if you were running in some of the bigger tracks at organized events. However, these kids are just running a track in the middle of a hay field, so most are just running stock mower tires . Thanks for following.

My old rider mower has a rigidly mounted front axle like that,and it s always getting stuck when a drive tire lifts ...........I was gonna pivot the front,but someone here suggested a truck spring leaf as the centre part of the axle,and that is still rigid mount ,no complication with the steering.(Its centre pivot tiller)
We did a lot of research before starting the build, especially on the front end. The trend seems to be a stiff frame, with no flex. A solid front fixed axle that does not pivot and preferably a solid rear axle. With the kings pins angled back at 10*, when you turn left, this causes the left rear tire to lift. This is what makes the racer turn, without pushing in the corners. This arrangement seems to work on my Grand daughters racer we built last year as it handles quite well. The tire pressure will also have an effect on the handling.

I built racing kart motors for several years as a business. Whenever someone came to me and wanted a cheater motor for their kid I would ask them how it would feel if their kid took first place and then got disqualified for cheating.

Bill has the right idea here, build it strong and help your competitors to do the same. I guarantee his grandkids will have way more fun coming in third in a big field than running away in first place with nobody even close. Racing should build skills AND character :encourage:

John
I couldn’t agree more John. That’s the whole idea is for the kids to be doing something constructive and having fun, while perhaps learning a few skills. I tremendously enjoy that shop time with my grandkids, something that doesn’t last forever, so take full advantage of it while you can. It is also a pleasure to help out the other kids with their machines and watching them race as well.

So how much is this grass cutter going to weigh, all up?
I am not to sure what it might weigh. I would assume it might be close to the original weight or less because there is no mower deck anymore. Also the original transmission outweighs the new drive assembly.

We made some more progress on the race mower, getting a little closer all the time. We fabricated the hood and cowling assembly from some old sheets of aluminum I had been saving from a scrapped aluminum boat. They were from the seats so it was reasonably flat to start with. Along with that we built the front and rear bumpers and welded them in place. Probably going to build the seat next and then get it wired up. Not too far from disassembly and paint. 5E11A429-E097-4BCC-8A12-F0015A408AB4.jpeg60D738E8-F769-48F1-98F2-D09F0A99B802.jpegD942FCCD-7A58-4A9F-8EA9-A1115DA81016.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C0CCD91-479B-4B71-8247-85CBC4B33C08.jpeg
    9C0CCD91-479B-4B71-8247-85CBC4B33C08.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12
Back