Radius/Ball turner build

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I've wanted one of these ever since I saw the first one way before I even got my lathe. I'm eventually building a bead roller and will need to make some custom made dies.

So last night I decided to make one with stuff I had on hand, I like recycling/re-using/re-purposing so I took a go/no go gauge from work for a machine gun mount socket that we had to destroy because it was out of tolerance. At first I was gonna use the gauge & the socket but realized it would be too high & limit the diameter of the ball/radius I could turn so I just used the gauge.

First I faced off the plug end that was cut at work to destroy it, then I turned it around and drilled a 1/2" hole in it to fit over the pin in my cross slide that's exposed after removing the compound cross slide. It turns nice and freely on the pin. Next op will be to mill a T slot across the small dia. end in the center to hold a tool holder I yet have to design but have an idea for which I seen on another design. The tool/cutter will be a double ended carbide insert .

I'm gonna drill and tap a few holes around the perimeter/edge of the larger dia. some straight in and some on an angle to thread in a handle.

carbide insert.jpg DSC00236.JPG DSC00237.JPG DSC00238.JPG

Charley,

Making chips makes you feel better doesn't it? Pivot table is looking good. How do you plan to hold it down onto the cross slide?

Benny

Charley

Good to see your still moving forward with your ball turner. I hear you on the eye sight issues, and other things going on at the same time. Ive been going through major crap with my eyes since last yr. , and have to do most things with a magnifier. I know it makes working on things hard. Hang in there Charley, your back at it trying to get er done, thats a good sign. The ball turner looks like its coming along, keep posting the progress. Once you have it finished, your going to be making new ball handles for everything. I dont think anything in my shop has the factory plastic handles anymore, they all have aluminum balls now ;)

Success, is just down the road

Charlies got me thinkin

An old friend I made atleast 40yrs ago, a monster bead roller, a bunch of dies, its got like almost a 4ft
throat= Detroit Diesel starter drive gears for the drive. Then I never even knew ball turners existed
I just used the SBend method out of the book. We were making running boards for Ford trucks. I still
have it & my kid had to put in storage trailer with a backhoe. Keep the pics comming maybe my next
project.

radius turning.jpg

An old friend I made atleast 40yrs ago, a monster bead roller, a bunch of dies, its got like almost a 4ft
throat= Detroit Diesel starter drive gears for the drive. Then I never even knew ball turners existed
I just used the SBend method out of the book. We were making running boards for Ford trucks. I still
have it & my kid had to put in storage trailer with a backhoe. Keep the pics comming maybe my next
project.

I thought about just using the compound cross feed but it presented clearance issues or basicaly limited the turning diamiter too much. Plus I haven't used a metal lathe since high school and needed the practice. Gonna take it to work tonight and mill the T slot in it. May have it finished in a couple days.

Got some more progress on it tonight, got all the milling done that I couldn't do at my shop at this time. Now I need to find an elongated carbide cutter before I can cut the tool holder off to height. I'm gonna turn a slot around the perimeter of the base so I can make some type of hold down. Drill and tap for a handle and it should be done.

radius turner (2).JPG radius turner (3).JPG radius turner.JPG

Charley
Looking good man
Good to see your making progress on your project. I have seen many different ball turners, this one of yours looks like a nice one. Keep us updated with your progress

Great Job!

Thanks guys, gotta get the carbide insert before I can finish it, need to know the thickness or the cutting edge height before I can cut the tool post to height and drill & tap the hole. I did cut a groove around the base to make a way to hold it down.

Back