Railroad Iron Anvil...A Start At Least

bedwards

Active User
Registered
I didn't flatten (machine) mine when I made it. I have used it as is. Do you think machining it will cut through to the softer metal underneath? I'd love to flatten the top of mine.

be

Whyemier I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to mill a railroad rail for an anvil and I have to give my hearty agreement !! Sheesh !! They're tough !!!! "jawdrop:

Neat posts. Now I know that there are others besides myself that have "rails" around for anvils. I can only assume that my grandfather got them back in the '20s when he worked for the railroad for a time. I have been using them almost my entire life and hadn't really given them much thought 'til now.

-Ron

So, I need carbide tooling to do this and probably expect to dull it when I do?

be

So, I need carbide tooling to do this and probably expect to dull it when I do?

be

:phew: That... is an understatement !! But they do turn out pretty with a bit of patience. :high5:

I have a Griz G1005z made in Taiwan. Its probably very similar to yours. It looks like it only goes down to 110 rpm. I have a Sheldon Model O horizontal that might do better with some Carbide tooling. What speed would you run it? It has a VFD on it so I can pretty much set the speed where I want.

be

@whyemer, clever use of the indexed tool bits....I have a fly cutter that will fit those, just wondering --- how well do those inserts hold up to an interrupted cut? I've been using M2 steel but I like the idea...:cool:

Thanks for the info, looks like another trip to Harbor Freight...!:biggrin:

I love seeing a track anvil in a shop. My very first real tool was one. I was about 12 when I dragged my dad down to a local scrap yard to find one. All I could find were these long lengths of track. I asked this guy working there if he could cut one. He handed me a propane oxy cutting torch and said I could have what ever I cut off. Can you imagine someone now handing a 12 year old a torch most scrap yards wont even let you walk around. Well it took me about an hour to finally cut the track but of course I had no idea of how heavy it was so I cut about 6 feet off. I couldn't even pick one end up :biggrin: So another almost hour I cut about 2 feet off then managed to drag it to the van. :phew: I think everyone at the yard was watching by that point. But I got it. :biggrin: Used it to do a lot of blacksmithing over the years. My parents moved 3 times since I left for college and I had assumed my old anvil was long gone. Then about 4 years ago my wife and I were at my parents for I think Thanksgiving and we were talking about me doing crazy stuff as a kid. The anvil story came up and after everyone got a good laugh my mom asked if I still wanted my old anvil. We went outside and there in the garden was my anvil a little rusty but still there. Its now in my shop and maybe its time to surface it and mill out those bad torch cut marks.

Your post brought up a lot of great memories thanks.

Jeff

did you guys know its illegal to have a piece of railroad track in the united states:lmao: this law went into effect when the last spike went in the continental railroad and it is still on the books:lmao:

Back