Raising the working height of my Bridgeport

ronsack

Registered
Registered
I am thinking of raising the working height of my Bridgeport I some time find it low and is hard om my back, I am 5-8" and my son is 5-10" he had the same idea.
So the question is how much should I lift the machine?
Maybe a pressure treated 2x6 frame and raise it 1.5" or double it and go 3" ?
2014-07-23 19.45.31.jpg

2014-07-23 19.45.31.jpg

I plan on lifting my BP clone with 2"x4"x.125" wall rectangular tubing and then leveling legs under that. Total should give me right @ 6" total height gain.

Mike.

If I were raising mine I'd go with sq. tubing. If you make it to high you'll have to stretch to reach the drawbar:lmao:

When I was moving my Bridgeport in I temporarily sat it on two 4x4s. I had to do a small project quickly, and saw no problem at all running on those beams. So I left them there. I like the 3.5" height increase. I've used it a lot since those days and would be easy to get a pallet jack under if I ever wanted to move it again.

Yeah, I know what you are thinking, but really, it works fine for me.

... raise it 1.5" or double it and go 3"....

Rather than have a figure fixed in mind, maybe raise it up an 1" at a time and try it for comfort. When you find a happy compromise for height pour a masonry base and bolt it down.
Personally I have the centre of my quill feed at shoulder height.

Cheers Phil

I never stopped to think that something actually fits me. At least until I change collets:)) On a more serious note, there are risers floating around out there that raise the head up off the column. Another option that might add to the versatility of your machine as well as raise the working bits up to a friendlier height.

All great thoughts, I can't do any drilling or concrete work my floor is seamless Quartz Epoxy including the cove.
I think will try raising it about 2" so I can still reach the draw bar.

I did the 2" sq tubing w leveling feet.

9edy4y6y.jpg
qybadedy.jpg
jehu3u8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back