Ramp Up Time

Happycamper

Active User
Registered
On a Dayton 1 1/2hp motor wired for 220, is there any way to slow the ramp up time when it is first energized?

Hawk

A Soft Start can be installed.
It will reduce the startup current and torque.
They are usually adjustable foe start current or time.

A Soft Start can be installed.
It will reduce the startup current and torque.
They are usually adjustable foe start current or time.
Zero, when you say installed, is that something fairly easy to do or should I take it to a pro? Ok looked them up and it appears they would be connected somewhere in the line to the motor. Would it go in the line before my drum switch?

Last edited:
is this single phase or 3 phase?

should it already be 3 phase...
if you are going to go through the trouble of using a soft starter, might as well go full vfd for cheaper
vfd's can alter the start up time as well as vary the frequency to operate at different speeds

if you are going to go with a single phase soft starter, the wiring is a bit challenging for the uninitiated- but it can be done
some can be awful expensive too

I agree with @Ulma Doctor a VFD seems like the way to go and you get many other features to boot. I haven't used a 1-phase-1phase VFD but assume similarity to 1-phase-3-phase unit.
Aaron

I agree with @Ulma Doctor a VFD seems like the way to go and you get many other features to boot. I haven't used a 1-phase-1phase VFD but assume similarity to 1-phase-3-phase unit.
Aaron
220 single phase. It was set up w an invertor and 3 phase motor with all low voltage controls. Had a problem and they quite working so I replaced it all with a simple single phase motor and drum switch. I had the invertor for the three phase set up w a 6 sec. ramp up time. With the single phase motor, it is jarring when you hit the switch and it instantly comes to life.

With the single phase motor, it is jarring when you hit the switch and it instantly comes to life.
This is typical of a single phase motor of this size. There's not much you're going to about it, that I know of anyway.

With the newer VFD's like I am using, all controls are right on the front panel so there is no need for adding low voltage controls separately. I had to do that with the older VFD that is on the mill. You still need to do some initial programming but only once. That is where/when you set the ramp up/down times and other stuff.
6 seconds sounds like a long time!
Aaron

Here's one that looks interesting: Only 50 bucks

Back