Ranger exhaust manifolds, gage block sin committed?

Your eBay set of inexpensive far east gauge blocks is practically made for that purpose! Cylinder heads and castings with jacking bosses just don't bolt straight to the table or perfectly fit a set of 1-2-3 blocks. Screw jacks are too tall. That leaves gauge blocks. I don't think anyone who uses them this way would do it with a $4000 set, so I'm not going to chide anybody for doing something that makes sense.

Your eBay set of inexpensive far east gauge blocks is practically made for that purpose! Cylinder heads and castings with jacking bosses just don't bolt straight to the table or perfectly fit a set of 1-2-3 blocks. Screw jacks are too tall. That leaves gauge blocks. I don't think anyone who uses them this way would do it with a $4000 set, so I'm not going to chide anybody for doing something that makes sense.
I guess I could or should pick up a cheaper set for this purpose -- the set I have is not import, it's from the '50s but has a mixed set of different manufacturers in it, and a label from it's last certification in '93 with a laundry list of which blocks are out-of-tolerance. Thanks for the input :)

If I had a suspect Chinese set, or a GOOD set from the auction, I would still use them in the application.
Just me, and my outlook on tools in general.
If a guy has the tool for the job, but deems it too delicate or inappropriate, then I wonder why he has the tool to begin with.
Can we afford a different set for every situation that arises?

In a pinch you could measure the height needed and machine a piece of bar stock in the lathe to fit.
Chinese adjustable parallels sre cheap. You should get a set or two.
A shaper or planer gauge works beautifully for adjustable height.

Back