Rant on Leeson Motors, Shipping

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Last Friday my thickness planer motor died, I checked everything, it has an open winding so it is officially dead. Being I am in the finishing stages of a large residential construction project I need the machine back up and running ASAP. So after an hour of searching, I find a reasonable price on a new Lesson 3hp, 230v single phase motor, $750 all in, with 2 day delivery, from a reputable vendor. Today the motor arrived ahead of the expected delivery and I was happy to be able to get the machine back on line.

How dare I assume, upon opening the box it was immediately evident the motor was woefully under packed. A few pieces of Kraft-paper packing loosely fit around a 50 pound motor in a flimsy cardboard box. Sure enough, the baseplate was bent but much worse, the shaft was completely seized. Inspecting the box revealed a hole the shaft had punched through the side of the box, probably the result of it being dropped. At first I was furious at the vendor but looking at the return address I realized the package was sent directly from the manufacturer.

I called the vendor, they confirmed the motor was "drop-shipped"(indeed) from Leeson and that they have a lot of returns for the same reason. The vendor immediately issued a return shipping label and promised they would get me a replacement ASAP. So as of now, I have no complaints against them, just Leeson.

I can't get my head wrapped around how a major manufacturer can ship a heavy motor packed as if it was a box of basketballs.

Rant over,

Thanks for the catharsis.
IMG_4689.jpeg
IMG_4691.jpeg
IMG_4692.jpeg

I had the same with another vendor, I don't get it. I guess they want us to buy from China, they don't care about their goods.
My plate was bent like yours, fortunately I was able to fix the plate.. But yea, we don't deserve their high price if they are going to treat it like trash.

I had this happen with an eBay motor reported as "new". It arrived just like yours, basically thrown in a box with a piece of bubble wrap around the shaft, which was poking through the box when it arrived. The motor mount was mangled, and there were bolt and washer marks on the "new" motor.

Later, I purchased a new Baldor that was "new old stock". Really, it took me a half hour just to get it out of the box. Seemed like it anyway. So at least back then Baldor took some care.

It must still be profitable to the vendors or they would not continue the practice. Wonder how long their insurers will put up with it?

Wow! They must have hired some layed off Amazon workers. I guess those expandable foam dispensing machines are too difficult to use.

Well, at least the key is good and secure :)

I had the same with another vendor, I don't get it. I guess they want us to buy from China, they don't care about their goods.
My plate was bent like yours, fortunately I was able to fix the plate.. But yea, we don't deserve their high price if they are going to treat it like trash.
Exactly, In this case there were less expensive, foreign, options but I spent a bit more because I didn't want any issues...
Yeah, I would have just straightened out the bent plate and mounted it, if the shaft wasn't seized up...
I had this happen with an eBay motor reported as "new". It arrived just like yours, basically thrown in a box with a piece of bubble wrap around the shaft, which was poking through the box when it arrived. The motor mount was mangled, and there were bolt and washer marks on the "new" motor.

Later, I purchased a new Baldor that was "new old stock". Really, it took me a half hour just to get it out of the box. Seemed like it anyway. So at least back then Baldor took some care.
Thats precisely why I didn't go the eBay route, I didn't want to take any chances. While I do feel confident eBay would have made good on any disputes, in this case I didn't have the time for any such drama...

That's what I was expecting, a motor in bomb-proof packing...

It must still be profitable to the vendors or they would not continue the practice. Wonder how long their insurers will put up with it?
Bingo, that's exactly what I am thinking; Some a-hole beancounter at Leeson, figured it's more profitable to loose x amount of motors and make insurance claims vs the cost of more robust packing procedures, and the a-hole management who approved the plan. Obviously, they don't care about the customer who loses $$ because their machine is down...

Wow! They must have hired some layed off Amazon workers. I guess those expandable foam dispensing machines are too difficult to use.

Well, at least the key is good and secure :)
I don't blame the workers, they are probably packing the motors as they are instructed to. Management purchases the packing materials, equipment and dictates procedures...

I bought a brand-new Baldor on eBay with no issues. Super heavy-duty box and good packing. It is powering my Logan lathe.

That's just goofy- somebody in a shipping department is close to getting fired I think
Yeah ultimately that's what happens, the upper management will frame, blame & fire someone downstream, who was just following their directives. Then come up with the brilliant idea of better packing!

Exactly, In this case there were less expensive, foreign, options but I spent a bit more because I didn't want any issues...
Yeah, I would have just straightened out the bent plate and mounted it, if the shaft wasn't seized up...

Thats precisely why I didn't go the eBay route, I didn't want to take any chances. While I do feel confident eBay would have made good on any disputes, in this case I didn't have the time for any such drama...

That's what I was expecting, a motor in bomb-proof packing...

Bingo, that's exactly what I am thinking; Some a-hole beancounter at Leeson, figured it's more profitable to loose x amount of motors and make insurance claims vs the cost of more robust packing procedures, and the a-hole management who approved the plan. Obviously, they don't care about the customer who loses $$ because their machine is down...

I don't blame the workers, they are probably packing the motors as they are instructed to. Management purchases the packing materials, equipment and dictates procedures...
I'm betting that insurance won't cover it. They incorrectly packed it will be the claim, and I would support that.

Back