Расточка пилы.

A lot of work to make that hole bigger, but you do what you have to do. I'm surprised that blades not hard there.

Am I the only one that cringed at about the 5:30 mark when he turned on the lathe without the bolt holding that blade on?
I had visions of a martial arts movie with a character with a throwing star imbedded in their forehead.

Am I the only one that cringed at about the 5:30 mark when he turned on the lathe without the bolt holding that blade on?
I had visions of a martial arts movie with a character with a throwing star imbedded in their forehead.
Nope, I had to go back and watch that part again to make sure I was seeing it correctly. I think that was in the section that was running at 3x speed though so it might have actually been going pretty slow at the time.

I did watch the whole video hoping to see some cool new tool coming out of it but just a bigger hole I guess. Table saw blades must be at a premium in Russia, I would think over here you would just order the right one to begin with.

Nice demonstration of technique though.

John

Nope, I had to go back and watch that part again to make sure I was seeing it correctly. I think that was in the section that was running at 3x speed though so it might have actually been going pretty slow at the time.

I did the same. His video says 8x, but if you play it back at .25 which would only be 2x it's still turning faster than you can see. From the way he spins it on the hub it isn't that tight of a fit either.

Was a pretty inventive method.

It seems like a lot of work for a one-off job. I would have made a jig with a two piece hub. The holes in the blade could have been located with a transfer punch and once the blade was centered on the jig, the hub insert removed and the arbor hole turned. Alternatively, the holes in the blade could be made oversize and a dial test indicator used to center the blade on the chuck. If a four jaw were used, the arbor wouldn't need to be very precise as its sole function is to mount the blade.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the hub. I thought of doing this for repurposing a circular saw blade to cut metal. A bigger hole and hub would enhance stability. Does the person who made the video explain the purpose?

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the hub. I thought of doing this for repurposing a circular saw blade to cut metal. A bigger hole and hub would enhance stability. Does the person who made the video explain the purpose?

Not speaking the language, it appears the the goal is to modify the blade to fit a larger diameter arbor. There is no parasitical way to directly mount the blade to enable increasing the bore diameter so the hub was created to allow drilling the two mounting holes and then mounting the blade to bore the blade.
The holes could have been drilled and tapped on a drill press rather than the lathe or the entire job could have been done on a mill by clamping the blade to the table, indicating the original hole, and boring it to the new diameter. Presumably, a mill wasn't available.

Back