Ratchet style wrench using one-way bearing

Sprag clutch/overrunning clutch we use them in crane hoists so the brake only gets released while hoisting down.

We used to sell sprague clutch wheel hubs for racing go kart applications. Would go on one side of the rear axle or the other depending on HP application (could run less stagger in dirt oval racing). Only legal in outlaw class but I doubt that stopped anybody;)

John

I love pawl-less ratchets. One of these days, I would like to find a tool that a friend had in his box many years ago that I haven't tracked down so I cam buy my own, but it was a snap-on one way bearing ratchet handle that accepted 1/4" micro stubby screwdriver shafts. The screwdrivers had a very short stack height and a big dimple in the end for your finger to press down on. If anyone knows the part number from snap-on, that knowledge will buy you the distinct opportunity to upset my wife's attitude towards me as packages show up in the mail.

I always thought one-way bearings would be weak or slip, but I had a mountain bike set up with a one-way bearing in lieu of a freewheel that would take a beating. My race weight of 235 lbs pushing 180 mm cranks generated a lot of torque, but the system never failed.

I love pawl-less ratchets. One of these days, I would like to find a tool that a friend had in his box many years ago that I haven't tracked down so I cam buy my own, but it was a snap-on one way bearing ratchet handle that accepted 1/4" micro stubby screwdriver shafts. The screwdrivers had a very short stack height and a big dimple in the end for your finger to press down on. If anyone knows the part number from snap-on, that knowledge will buy you the distinct opportunity to upset my wife's attitude towards me as packages show up in the mail.

I always thought one-way bearings would be weak or slip, but I had a mountain bike set up with a one-way bearing in lieu of a freewheel that would take a beating. My race weight of 235 lbs pushing 180 mm cranks generated a lot of torque, but the system never failed.

I have one of those Snap-On screwdriver ratchets, in a box somewhere, now I’m going to now have to look for it.

I’ll be dipped, but it think we are talking about the same pawlless ratchet. Is this it?
gallery
BLUE-POINT-by-Snap-on-YA480A-RATCHETING-FRICTION-DRIVE-SCREWDRIVER-SET-Free-Shp

this is the one I had disappear. Didn’t know it was SnapOn. This one above is one eBay right now, part # YA480A.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-POINT...249071?hash=item5b7aae05ef:g:2xkAAOSwOntfLJjW

Wow, that one is the same in form and function, but I remember (1990?) the screwdriver handle being splined plastic like a Craftsman rather than the excellent knurled metal example you've provided. Thanks for the link, I may use it... unless you're after it, you found it.

LOL, I know you hate eBay, but I HATE auctions. And so I did a search for the YA380A and YA380B came up, and it’s like you describe. And the guy has 10+ sets with the plastic handles for $25. New, unboxed. I bought one. No waiting come on down! Mine was EXACTLY like the brass knob one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/snap-on-ya480b-screw-driver-set/323963346188?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Awe heck, I bought one too. Although I don't need it I'm a sucker for odd useful tools & and I can see this one coming in handy. Thanks!

Me three. I bought one too. That should come in handy on panel screws and what-not.

I’ve been missing mine for at least 20yrs. I have a couple of the ratchet ones and they don’t cut it because of the ratchet mechanism. That old one was the best in a really tight spot where nothing else would work. I could have sworn the bits plugged into the brass head but it just might be my OldTimers actin’ up. I’m pretty sure it was way more than $25 back in the 80’s when I got it. If I remember right my 1/4” SnapOn extension would work in it to so I could use it as a 1/4” socket wrench. Glad you got me on this thing Pontiac428, who knew they had a bunch on eBay!

Last edited:
Back