Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

there is no play at all not even end play maybe its spring loaded?
i think the rpms are 3500
it works so well i will buy another at full price if i wear it out. $20 well spent
steve

Should add.

MAJOR FAIL
these are so sad they will prob break right on the spot in the store. I purchased about 50 of the hand spring clamps they will explode in short time.

Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 9.12.54 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-06-23 at 9.12.39 PM.jpg

PASS:
Razor blades. pack 100
shop brushes. ++++ pack 50?
Digital dro's
Magnets
Hex T wrenches metric and american
Tool box (US General edition)
Trailer dolly
Yard pump sprayer
Link belts +++
micro screwdrivers

Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 9.12.54 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 9.12.39 PM.jpg

I just got a 1 ton arbor press for Fathers Day The only thing I don't like is no ratchet. The thing I liked the most is the Mailman didn't get it for Fathers Day. Definite pass @ 47.99.

I got the 1-ton press too. Got it for my Heavy 10 refurb and I've also needed it for past projects. It does the job. I wish it had the different inserts for the arbor but not a deal breaker, especially using the 20% coupon and/or on sale.:thumbzup: Oh, I also picked up the 6" digital calipers that a lot of guys have have good luck with. Compared them with my Mitotoyo micrometer and it seemed on the money. They look exactly like ones I see for sale elsewhere for almost triple the cost. Pro'lly are! :p

Have been buying the orange tie downs for some time now.
Cheap enough to be disposable, strong enough to get the job done. Win

I've got a HF12X36 lathe: pass, it's not perfict, but for the money a good buy when on sale.
6" tool grinder: barely pass, It needs work right out of the box to straighten it out for good tool cuts.
plate packer: pass, Excelent buy for the sale price. Works good for occational use, cheaper than renting. Don't know what commercial use would do to it over time.

Glen

Definite pass on the (green) 46727 tool grinder.
At 10% (when it's on sale for $159 + the usual 20% coupon) of the $1300 retail price of the (gray) Baldor 510 carbide wheel grinder, it's a real bargain.

There's no denying it needs a little work. The table castings and trunions need cleaning up and trueing, and the wheel backing plates need trueing as well.
However, spindle runout was less than the width of the needle on mine.

The 6" straight cup wheels, a pair of uninspiring green 80 grits, got replaced with a 150 grit diamond on one side and a 40 grit white aluminum oxide on the other.
The only other mod I might make, (just for the satisfaction of it, because it's not really needed), would be to replace the single race 6204 bearings with the 5204 double race bearings that Baldor uses on their 532 diamond wheel version of the same grinder.

HF 46727: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-hp-6-inch-tool-grinder-46727.html

Baldor 510: http://www.baldor.com/products/deta...f_Grinders&wheelsize=+6+inches&rpm=3000//3600

image_16929.jpgA000262.jpg

image_16929.jpg A000262.jpg

I just bought two sets of these, (one for the house, the other to keep handy in one of the barns), and they feel pretty good in all respects. Thought they would be all light and cheaply made, but was surprised how tight they are. One of the smaller ones need a good hammering to tighten up the riveted joints. All the others have jaws that line up perfectly.

It may be a fluke of nature, but I consider them well made. Fit and finish almost as good as Channel Locks.:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-curved-jaw-locking-pliers-set-91684.html

If they hold up, I may buy a few more sets for the Grandsons.

Over the years I've bought a lot of tools from HF. I have a blast cabinet and a 20 ton press that were probably the biggest ticket items. Can not think of anything I've bought that was a complete fail. Some of the items for the price I just consider expendable. Roger

I just bought two sets of these, (one for the house, the other to keep handy in one of the barns), and they feel pretty good in all respects. Thought they would be all light and cheaply made, but was surprised how tight they are. One of the smaller ones need a good hammering to tighten up the riveted joints. All the others have jaws that line up perfectly.

It may be a fluke of nature, but I consider them well made. Fit and finish almost as good as Channel Locks.:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-curved-jaw-locking-pliers-set-91684.html

If they hold up, I may buy a few more sets for the Grandsons.
When I saw channel Locks in the post I thought you were reffering to the groove joint pliers. The vice grips are pretty good. The Groove joint pliers ie: channel lock type. Not so good unless you like busted knuckles.

Looks like the HF Baldor copy tool grinder (#46727) is no more!
HF have been dropping a lot of good stuff lately. :(

HF Grinder.jpg
R.I.P :(

M

HF Grinder.jpg

Back