re using old files

I have never bought a scribe. Always ground them from small round files.
Chain saw files work great for center punches and scribes. They range in diameter from about 1/8" to 1/4" . I will break a worn file in half and make two punches and/or scribes from the pieces. If making punches, make sure that you draw the temper of the struck end. Heat the struck end to a deep blue to grey and quench.

Chain saw files work great for center punches and scribes. They range in diameter from about 1/8" to 1/4" . I will break a worn file in half and make two punches and/or scribes from the pieces. If making punches, make sure that you draw the temper of the struck end. Heat the struck end to a deep blue to grey and quench.
quench in what?
oil or water?

quench in what?
oil or water?
It doesn't matter. The purpose of the quenching is to stop the heat from drawing the temper of the body of the file. I like to soften the struck end but don't want to soften the body.

It also prevents the tempering process from going too far. Not a serious problem in this case but a good practice whenever tempering steel.

you can LIGHTLY grind the tips of the teeth of dull files. They then are sharp again for filing only ROUND objects rotating in the lathe,as round surfaces can be filed with no relief or clearance on the teeth. The ground files,of course,will not file flat surfaces after doing this to them,but if they were dull,with shiny teeth before,a good deal of use can still be gotten from them in the lathe after grinding as described.

DON'T overdo the grinding or you may completely grind away the teeth.

Back