- Jan 19, 2018
This place was founded in September, 2010 so that we could all help one another learn. Please do not ever be afraid to ask a question on THIS forum. We're here to help, not to flame, criticize or judge each other.
This site is owned by a Not-for-Profit Corporation, (501[c]), with consent from the NYS Department of Education certifying that it is an educational site. This site is a strictly not-for-profit, non-commercial, educational site. NO ONE MAKES MONEY FROM THIS SITE.
BY REGISTERING, YOU EXPRESSLY AGREED TO THE FOLLOWING RULES WHEN YOU CLICKED "I AGREE" UPON REGISTERING. YOU WILL BE HELD TO THESE RULES WHETHER YOU READ THEM OR NOT, SO PLEASE READ THEM CLOSELY:
REGISTER ONLY ONE USER ACCOUNT:
1. You may have only ONE user account on H-M, unless we give you permission to have more than one. If we discover that you have more than one account, or "alter egos" on H-M, without our express permission, all of the accounts will be deleted.
ENTER YOUR INFORMATION:
2. You must enter your actual first and last name and location at the time of registration - no pseudonyms, no false locations. We verify locations by IP address. Drop your VPN or Proxy service so your actual location at the time of registration shows in your IP. The registrations are reviewed by a moderator before they are approved! Your real name provided at registration is not visible to other users unless you decide to include it in your post signatures. If you do not enter a real name, your account will not be approved.
TELL US WHY YOU WISH TO JOIN:
3. Ideally, you should want to join to ask a question, get help with something or give help. Our mission is to be a learning community that shares knowledge and experience with each other. This is a give and take site and we want active participants. A For Sale forum is provided as a convenience to donating members only. Businesses may join by creating a Commercial or Sponsor level membership.
4. When you register, you will supply an introduction telling us: a) your experience in machining; b) machines owned, if any; c) interests in the hobby or profession of machining; and d) your reason for joining the site. Your introduction will appear in the "New Member Introductions & Welcomes" forum and will be your introduction to other members. Introductions should be complete, polite, and provide the above information. We STRONGLY encourage participation on this site. NO ONE will criticize or flame you for participating- EVER! We have a ZERO TOLERANCE for this type of behavior here.
DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM OUR FORUM:
5. You agree not to remove, delete or disable your photos, drawings or posts should you leave the site, be asked to leave, or be removed. We will disable your account, upon request, but the information will remain in our database. The accounts on this forum are the property of the non-profit organization and you agree to this upon registration.
DO NOT BULLY, DISPARAGE or THREATEN OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Chest-thumping is frowned upon. The goal here is to help others, not show how smart you are. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Bullying, harassment and doxxing will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.
TREAT VENDORS WITH RESPECT:
7. Vendors are not immune to constructive criticism on this forum. However, where it is clear that someone is acting unreasonably, making unsupported comments and attacks upon the vendor's product and reputation, with some unrealistic agenda in mind, those comments shall be removed, and that person shall face disciplinary action, including removal from the forum. Constructive comments benefit everyone- both the vendor and the end-user, but obnoxious and unsubstantiated attacks serve no purpose other than to wrongfully harm the vendor's reputation, and to create a hostile and unfriendly atmosphere that is inconsistent with our mission and purpose, and shall not be tolerated. All vendors deserve the chance to explain their products, and respond to mindful criticism. If you are joining to attack a vendor's products, do not join this forum.
DO NOT HOLD GRUDGES:
8. You agree not to hold grudges or bring them here. If you can't, or you don't plan to participate because you have a grudge against someone, and feel that you cannot get past it, please go elsewhere. If you have a problem with a member of our staff, do not register.
DO NOT CRITICIZE, LIBEL, OR DEFAME THIS FORUM OR OTHER FORUMS:
9. You agree not to criticize or make any negative comments about this forum or other machinist forums on this forum or on other forums. The staff are all volunteers. They do their best. If we see disparaging posts made by you, about us or our forum, here or elsewhere, your membership will be revoked. Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum either. That is not part of this forum's activities. If you make disparaging comments about other machinist forums, they shall be removed. If you feel our rules are "touchy" or "overbearing," try another forum. These rules have made this forum what it is today, a popular place where people can interact without being made to feel bad about themselves.
DO NOT CONTACT OTHERS TO ENCOURAGE THEM TO DEPART HERE OR JOIN ELSEWHERE:
10. You agree that you will not use our messaging system (conversations or emails), or any information including users' email addresses or telephone numbers you obtain in connection with or from your membership or activities on this forum to encourage members to join other machinist or metalworking forums or splinter forums. If we see you asking a number of other members for their email addresses, we will assume that is what you are doing, and you will be banned. You agree that you will not disclose or utilize any information, including email addresses, telephone numbers, IP numbers or any other data that is contained on our site, for any purpose other than the advancement and business of The Hobby-Machinist web site. To do otherwise will constitute tortious interference with our business, which is actionable. We will take action against anyone who violates this rule. We take member harvesting and data piracy very seriously.
DO NOT POST OR PROMOTE PRODUCTS FOR SALE, PROMOTE YOURSELF, YOUR VIDEOS, OR COMPANY OR EMPLOYER, UNLESS YOU BUY A COMMERCIAL MEMBERSHIP OR SITE SPONSORSHIP:
11. You may not join just to sell something or provide a service. This is not a selling or auction site. A sales forum is provided as a convenience to premium members only. You may not conduct any commercial or promotional activity whatsoever, including posting links to products, photos of products, a business phone number, or links to your website without first becoming a commercial member or site sponsor. You may not do any "digital marketing", whether couched as "explaining" products or otherwise, by posting product photos, YouTube videos, placing your business name or YouTube Channel name in your username, your signature, or your posts unless you have first joined as a commercial member or site sponsor, and paid the applicable fee. Non-commercial selling of spare items can be done in the For Sale forum by supporting members (those who have purchased a premium membership to support our site). Premium membership does NOT entitle you to any commercial activity. Dealers must buy commercial memberships. There are other forums, such as Ebay, Etsy, etc., where you may sell your items. If you violate this rule, you will be removed from the forum.
DO NOT DISCUSS POLITICS OR GOVERNMENT POLICY PROBLEMS:
12. You agree not to discuss or argue the politics or present the merits of any government policy topics not related to machining that may be considered controversial, inflammatory, divisive or derogatory of political views by other members - EVER. PERIOD. Any mention will be deleted without comment or warning. Individual comments and/or threads may be locked or deleted if they meet the criteria of this rule. Multiple violations of this rule may result in a temporary or permanent ban.
OUR PURPOSE IS THAT WE ARE A HOBBY MACHINIST COMMUNITY - lets keep it there.
KEEP A CIVIL TONGUE AND HAVE A NON-OFFENSIVE ID:
13. We are a family-friendly forum. You agree to use civil language, and avoid vulgarity. Please use a non-offensive username. That means one that is not vulgar, disparaging or defamatory. Never give your password out to another person except an administrator for technical support. Never use another person's account for any reason. We highly recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft. Your profile must present clean and accurate information. All posts must be free of innuendo or euphemisms attempting to circumvent the common sense decency rules stated in this rules sections. This includes abbreviations of common vulgar or obscene language or wording.
DO NOT POST COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS:
14. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner and/or author of the copyrighted material. This site is a strictly not-for-profit, non-commercial, educational site, and subject to the "fair use" exception of copyright law (17 USC §107 - http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html). Materials are posted for teaching purposes only, and we do not profit from any of your posted materials on this site, directly or indirectly. While we are undoubtedly a "fair use" (teaching, nonprofit) web site, we prefer to avoid issues in this respect when we can. When in doubt, ask permission first.
DO NOT INFRINGE ON OUR COPYRIGHT:
15. By posting, you agree to grant us exclusive publishing rights to your posts, and you permit and license us without limitation to use and display them on the site, and you further agree not to remove them, or render them unusable. You agree not to delete or disable the photos, drawings or posts should you leave the site, be asked to leave, or be removed. Any and all of the content presented on Hobby-Machinist.com is, unless explicitly stated otherwise, subject to a exclusive publishing copyright held by Hobby-Machinist.com. It is permissible to link to content from this site as long as the original source is clearly stated, but the wholesale reproduction or partial modification of content is not permitted. Exceptions are granted only if you receive prior written consent from Hobby-Machinist.com. We retain a copyright on the web site, the forums, and the presentation of the physical content therein. Anyone mirroring or cloning this forum, or copying the physical presentation of the materials on this forum for which they do not hold a valid copyright, shall be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
DO NOT DEFAME :
16. You agree not to post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented,threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. Accusations against individuals that cannot be conclusively proven true are defamatory. We do not suborn, encourage, or permit personal attacks on others.
DO NOT PUBLICLY QUESTION THESE RULES:
17. You agree that you will not discuss or question these rules in open forum. If you have a question or disagreement, send a private message to a moderator or administrator. Do NOT start any threads regarding these rules. Violators will be removed from the forum without warning.
DO NOT SPAM:
18. You agree not to engage in spamming, flooding, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations. Advertising of items for sale must be confined to the for sale and classified sections. Spammers are routinely reported and placed on watch lists. The content of this site, public and private, is monitored for compliance.
DEAL FAIRLY WITH OTHERS:
19. From time to time, members may buy or sell machinist-related items or perform services for one another. This site is not responsible for these arrangements, nor can it act as arbitrator of disputes. Buyers and sellers and service providers do so at their own risk.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, Buyers and sellers agree, by joining, to act in good faith and treat one another fairly. Sellers and service-providers agree to treat buyers in a reasonable and fair manner, by supplying what is paid for; and buyers agree that you will pay for these purchases promptly, and treat sellers fairly. Anyone who, in our exclusive discretion, does not follow this rule, will have their membership terminated.
WHEN IN DOUBT, ASK A MEMBER OF THE STAFF BEFORE YOU ACT!
We reserve our right to do whatever is necessary, whenever is necessary to keep the friendly atmosphere of this site. Remember that although this is a public forum, it is privately owned and not-for-profit. Membership is a privilege, not a right.
DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY (THE LEGAL STUFF!):
By participating in The Hobby-Machinist community, you are granting us an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, and transferable license and copyright to display, use, publish, republish, adapt, copy, share, edit, distribute, watermark, or create derivative works, including commercial works, from any content you submit (such as wiki articles, forum posts, image uploads, and characters), provided you hold copyright to it. The termination of the license must be mutually agreed upon by both parties.
Please note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts. We do not actively monitor or control the content of the posted messages. The information contained on this forum is believed to be accurate. However, we do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, integrity or quality or usefulness of any information presented. We do not assume any responsibility for any inaccuracies or incorrect information encountered on this site. We are not liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential damages or losses incurred due to any defect or omission to be found in the materials contained on this forum, even if advised of the possibility of such damages or existing defects. Use of the information provided herein is to be considered strictly voluntary on the part of the user and should be used in conjunction with specific expert advice and professional assistance. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily our views. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless, and any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum. We reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.
PLEASE REGISTER ONLY IF YOU AGREE TO THE FOREGOING!
BY REGISTERING, YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE READ AND AGREED TO THESE RULES!
THE STAFF AT WWW.HOBBY-MACHINIST.COM
[Revised 4/30/18 NET, Copyright clarification]
[Revised 12/3/20, Rule 12 update]
Last edited by a moderator: