Reamers

If the cutter in question is an end mill, the side flutes will be ground to a sharp cutting edge and there will be back clearance right up to that cutting edge. If it is a reamer (jig bore, chucking or whatever) the edge of the flutes will have a narrow circular margin present before the back clearance starts. This is because the side flutes of an end mill are intended to cut. The side flutes of a reamer are not intended to cut. The narrow circular margins follow the circle cut by the cutting edges of the reamer. Common chucking reamer cutting edges are at the chamfers only. Following that logic, jig bore style reamers should only cut in a plunge action (not side cut).

@rwm should closely inspect or try the cutter to determine if the side flutes cut or if they rub.

why would it be a hand reamer and have a Morse taper for a machine? Does not seem right. chucking / machine reamers do not have a lead like hand reamers.

ah, you have a mt2 reamer, not a reamer that has a mt2 and square attachment point.:surrender:
Yes, Now I get what you are saying. The reamer I have I got with a couple of machines I bought a long time ago. I believe it was bought by the original owner to clean up the inside of the tailstock quill.

Back