Rear mount parting tool holder for Myford

Me either! For such a simple thing it could have saved hobbyists buckets of blood, sweat, tears and ruined parts over the years.

I did some bronze parts the other day, used it to do the hogging. That thing can fair shift some material! But the best thing is it fires the inevitable spray of chips downwards!

Yup, one of the few things in life to which there is no downside.

If you haven't tried it, increase your speed. This really reduces the feed force required when parting. All you need to do is feed so there is a slight positive resistance to the feed. The chips will curl off, the cut will go smooth and fast, your accuracy will improve and the finish will be great! Keep it lubed as you feed in and you're going to love it.

With you on all of that. Lovely curls that drop out because gravity.

IMG_20211015_203139.jpg

Even tackled parting tool steel! The HSS stays sharp for a crazy long time too.

Yeah, the tool holds an edge for a long time. Interesting, eh? I think this is because there is no rubbing below the cutting edge. The tool is working like an orthogonal tool. The upper surface of the tool is all rake so chip flow is enhanced.

Regardless of why the tool stays sharper longer, it does.

Nicely done. It's on my list, though I've gotten much better at it in the conventional mode on my old Atlas. I think much of that was from adjustment, and getting everything as rigid as possible. Mike

Last edited:
I don't have a problem usually, so I'm sticking with a frontal attack, easier to measure too without a DRO.

well I'm not doubting. But Until I buy this http://mlatoolbox.com/S-4382.html I can't.
I do want it, I have a taper attachment that has a bad cross slide, it was broken, and brazed. Then I found out about the gib screws that were stripped out and broken out. The braze was ok, just a little bent, and I can deal with, the gib screws I sent out to a guy that does cast iron welding for me. I didn't want nickel for this, but because I had wanted nickel on the other piece our wires got crossed, then the nickel wound up on the other dovetail (fixed).. A real mess. drilling through nickel rod is... well tough... tapping it is tougher.

So if I do the mla slide, I might give it a try, until then... I don't have the means... so I'm sticking with what I got... which isn't giving me a problem now..

Back