rebuild

fixit

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
After storm IRMA flooded my home & shop I am starting to address the shop. The home is 95% completed, now I need to address the shop. I had over 4 feet of water in my 800 sq/ft shop. my 1992 CAPRI & 1965 SUNBEAM are totaled. 60 year collection of tools ? I got most of the mics, indicator, 7 calipers washed with wd40 but they still feel gritty. Four welders have not been tested yet the IDEALARC has a lot of electronics I fear it may be junk. Got the air compressor dewatered & running, the 7 1/2 hp 220v motor survived, the lathe & mill still run but the lathe sounds rough. Dirt & grime every place & on everything. Many of the cabinets were repurposed kitchen unit are now a pile of swelled up pressed wood. 20/25 small (4 to 25) hp engines + air compressor are sitting full of water. To date I've spent $40 thousand (borrowed$) on home, did 95% of work myself, plus $16 thousand FEMA gave me. Did not have flood insurance we were not in a flood zone. Now I am address my shop rebuild & what to do to make it better.

Sad to hear of your losses. If that happened to me I don't think I could start again. All the best with your rebuilding.
peter

After storm IRMA flooded my home & shop I am starting to address the shop. The home is 95% completed, now I need to address the shop. I had over 4 feet of water in my 800 sq/ft shop. my 1992 CAPRI & 1965 SUNBEAM are totaled. 60 year collection of tools ? I got most of the mics, indicator, 7 calipers washed with wd40 but they still feel gritty. Four welders have not been tested yet the IDEALARC has a lot of electronics I fear it may be junk. Got the air compressor dewatered & running, the 7 1/2 hp 220v motor survived, the lathe & mill still run but the lathe sounds rough. Dirt & grime every place & on everything. Many of the cabinets were repurposed kitchen unit are now a pile of swelled up pressed wood. 20/25 small (4 to 25) hp engines + air compressor are sitting full of water. To date I've spent $40 thousand (borrowed$) on home, did 95% of work myself, plus $16 thousand FEMA gave me. Did not have flood insurance we were not in a flood zone. Now I am address my shop rebuild & what to do to make it better.

Sad. What a waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear of this, fixit, but you're a shop guy and shop guys don't lie down. My bet is on you to come back one day and have your shop refurbished.

So sorry to hear of your loss. This would be terrible for me, a real obstacle. I hope you can find the courage and means to rebuild. It would be a real triumph!

Back