Receiving, and getting money from Paypal

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The 1228 may be sold this weekend, the buyer wishes to pay by Paypal or Venmo, I don't have Venmo. 2.6% transaction fee if I do that?

If the buyer is a crook and denies receipt of the goods, how are you going to convince PayPal (or the buyers credit card company) that the transaction was completed?

Copy the buyers drivers license? Write up a receipt (on the license copy) and have the buyer sign it? Take pictures of the buyer and vehicle?
Sounds like a PITA to me.

Cash is king.

I'm with @extropic, if it's a face-to-face sale then cash or e-transfer on the spot is all I will accept.

It is a face to face, local resident, maybe have him sign a bill of sale accepting? I'll have to see what Venmo is about.

The only way to take PP is if he pays it as a gift, He can not reverse a gift, and you do not pay fees on a gift. BUT if PP ever determines you are taking gifts as payment for goods then PP may terminate your account.

I always print out a bill of sale with a short description, the Serial No, My name, and the buyers name, dates and any other pertinent info. Like a delivered date. It would not hurt to have pics also.

I am guessing that in HI all machine sales are local?

Not really, I do have another interested party on the Big Island that I would have to ship to.

You can transfer money via PayPal as friends and family and not incur charges, but if someone is going to pick up the machine then there is no reason that they can't bring cash. Checks, cashiers checks and money orders also present a problem because they are so easy to forge. When I buy or sell machines, I still revert to cash. If a higher ticket item, either the check first clears, or cash and have a sales receipt. I also do a photocopy of their license and/or a picture of the item loaded up with their license plate of the car. Just too many scammers out there, and PayPal can freeze up your money or pull funds form your account without your consent.

I think the buyer alluded to not having the cash, and wants to put it on a card. Does anything change with them contesting the purchase as a friends, and family, and I pay the fee?

It is a face to face, local resident, maybe have him sign a bill of sale accepting? I'll have to see what Venmo is about.

How are you going to prove it's his signature?

Why should you expose yourself to risk so the buyer can earn a few reward $$?

If he doesn’t have the cash on hand or in the bank, his PP account must be linked to a credit card if he wants to pay with PP. If he’s in good standing with his CC company, he should be able to get a cash advance on his card to pay you with. If he’s going to operate on credit, make it his worry, not yours. Service fees and interest charges are his to deal with. Just MHO.

Tom

Back