Receiving, and getting money from Paypal

You could have him give you a PayPal deposit of about $200 “to hold the machine for him”. For the balance, cash is king. If he wants the machine badly enough, then he can get the cash.

PayPal can be extremely unhelpful if you’re over a barrel and you need their help. I have had more cases than I could ever count where PayPal did what was best for PayPal.

Thank you for the responses so far, glad I asked....

On the plus side, the guy is local. Maybe have a few of those gaff hooks you made setting around so he gets an idea of what'll be used for his next body piercing if need be. . . . If he has the funds in PayPal, he can either transfer them electronically to his bank for free and give you cash or take a check from PayPal for $1.50. I'd be a bit hesitant to take a PayPal payment from someone I don't know as they could file a claim with PayPal and maybe get their money back. Maybe hold something as collateral until he pays off the balance?

On the other hand, In my experience PayPal does a very poor job of protecting buyers. Ask me how I know. I got caught for $75 from the "scam" company Temptlife buying some cashmere-lined yoga pants for my wife for Christmas. Google "Temptlife complaints" for an earful. I filed a claim with PayPal as the product wasn't close to the description. Had pictures of the website description and photos of the actual product showing the obvious differences. The seller Temptlife offered a full refund but I had to pay to ship the goods back to China for $35. So the seller clearly sends a product that doesn't match their description and I have to pay to return the merch?!? I ended up following the advice of some others on line who did do the return. Temptlife said the merch was damaged or obviously worn and pulled the refund offer, PayPal backed Temptlife. I donated the pants to Goodwill.

Bruce

He wants you to convert his credit into your cash. Let him do it. IF he actually has the credit it should be no problem for him to get the cash.

If they want to use Paypal you can always have them gross up the 2.8% PayPal would charge you. Then you get Paypal seller protection and the amount you asked for. And.... The buyer gets the convenience of using PayPa.

I can understand the need to use paypal for big cash (big cash = more than an ATM will spit out) because my bank does not have branch offices I can walk into and make a withdrawal from. I have to call the bank and say I'm pulling whatever thousands out at the machine, but once they release the lock I can pull $10k (or was it $15?) out in one go. If I can't pull it off, paypal starts to look good. I don't buy anything on credit unless I'm doing it for the air miles. This is just a means to move money. It is not without risk, and with PP that is scary as a seller. I was scammed out of $750 several years ago on a paypal policy favoring the buyer, when the buyer was a crooked liar who falsified his statement and got my money anyway. I wouldn't want to go through that again.

I think the buyer alluded to not having the cash, and wants to put it on a card. Does anything change with them contesting the purchase as a friends, and family, and I pay the fee?
If this is the case, have him take out a cash advance on his credit card. As others have stated, ONLY TAKE CASH! There are simply too many ways a buyer can commit fraud at your expense and get away with it.

As for shipping to the big island, make it clear that you need cash money in your hands before you will even think of shipping it somewhere else. That includes shipping costs, too. If he still balks, then he was most likely going to commit fraud against you, so walk away.

The Big Island is another buyer that would be a transfer of funds.....Thank you everybody.

Back