Reclaiming Polyethylene Pipe

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have over 100' of 1-1/4" 125 psi black poly-pipe that came out of the (dry) well that I pulled. I could cut it into 3.5' lengths and put it in the recycle bin, but, due to the pandemic, the garbage service is not processing recyclables, they are just going into the landfill. I also hate wasting something that is potentially useful. I've decided to try cutting it up and melting it into slabs for future use. PE has a melting point around 250° F, so I did a test melt in my shop toaster oven. It worked, but the plastic did not melt uniformly or completely. Portions of it liquified, but the skin of the pipe remained semi-solid. It did seem to form a solid, if not homogenous, piece once cooled. I've seen videos of people doing this with milk jugs, etc., but I wasn't really impressed with the results. Has anyone tried this?

Would think the fumes would kill you in the process. Idk but not worth it in my book. I like metal plastic breaks!

Would think the fumes would kill you in the process. Idk but not worth it in my book. I like metal plastic breaks!
No noticeable fumes at temps up to about 300° F. If you've ever machined UHMW, you would know that some plastic doesn't break, not even when you want it to.

Do you have a "second use" (or similar) store nearby? We have those here and you can just drop off good stuff like that. They gladly take it and resell it for a low price to keep the business going. Saves on landfills, helps people that are stretched on a budget (and cheapos like me). I almost always walk away finding some great used tools for little $.

Here's the first of a 3 part series, the info you need is in this one and half the next one.

Well, maybe not the info you need, but the proof that it can be done with good results. Granted this guy is working with brand new buckets instead of old pipes that spent their life immersed in dirt and water, but I think it should still be feasible if you knead it up like taffy, like these guys do:

I think it should still be feasible if you knead it up like taffy, like these guys do:
I was hoping to just do a melt and call it good, but the results of the test melt suggest kneading might be needed. I did cut the test melt in half, it shows no evidence of internal layering, just one solid piece. Over mama's objections I have an 8x12 baking pan in the oven trying a larger quantity.

This works. You just need a higher temperature. The plastic pieces conduct heat poorly. Even though 250 is close to the melting point, conductivity of the plastic feedstock is low and It helps to have some degree of superheat. I found that over 350F, like 400, works much better.

This works. You just need a higher temperature. The plastic pieces conduct heat poorly. Even though 250 is close to the melting point, conductivity of the plastic feedstock is low and It helps to have some degree of superheat. I found that over 350F, like 400, works much better.
Turning the oven up as we speak. Just trying to avoid too hot. I promised mama I wouldn't foul the oven or stink up the house. Anybody know what the smoke point is?

I have been experimenting with various plastics in a deep fat fryer. I have tried polypropylene ans PET with promising results. I changed the thermostat to cycle at a slightly higher temperature. As manufactured, it would reach 400ºF and I raised the setting to around 500ºF. The big problem I have now is radiant heat loss so my next step is to insulate the wall of the fryer.

Back