Recommendation for drill bit set?

Frank O

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
About 20 years ago I bought one of those 115-piece 1/16" to 1/2" jobber drill bit sets that come in a metal box with fold-out holders for the rows of bits.

Over time some of the bits have broken, gotten lost, etc. I replaced them one by one for awhile. It's at the point now, though, where it makes sense to buy a new set.

With that in mind, any recommendations for any sets out there?

I've been buying Drillco drills for the last couple of years and have been happy with them. I discovered them because my
local industrial supply place sells them. Prices aren't hardware store cheap, but to me are reasonable, they're made in the USA, and
the quality is good.
I've bought both individual drills, and a screw machine set which came packed in a Huot box.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I bought one of those 115-piece 1/16" to 1/2" jobber drill bit sets that come in a metal box with fold-out holders for the rows of bits.

Over time some of the bits have broken, gotten lost, etc. I replaced them one by one for awhile. It's at the point now, though, where it makes sense to buy a new set.

With that in mind, any recommendations for any sets out there?
I have several sets of Viking/Norseman drills and taps. They are the best I have ever owned. They can be found for very copetitive prices if you shop around.

I have not bought a set in many many years. I just buy what I need to replace those that are used. for smaller sizes I buy 5 at a time.

I bought this Cleveland set in 2014 and it has served me well. Of course, it's gone up by $50 since then.

Tom

Thanks for all the comments.

A classic Machinist set is 1/16 to 1/2, plus a Number set, AND a LETTER set.

Yes, that's the kind I have and what I'd be looking for.

I looked at the Norseman and Drillco websites, but had trouble finding their sets as opposed to single drills.

At drillhog.com, they have a molybdenum set for $197, and a cobalt set for $297. I guess the cobalt would be higher quality (or longer lasting)?

I use Drill Hog for hand drilling, and I'm liking the screw lengths more now. I have Viking/Norseman, and CL for the machines.

There was a vendor that was linked here a year ago, so I do not remember the link, but we were able to get the full set of V/N bits at reduced pricing, I'm hoping someone remembers.

Back