Recommendations for VFD

mws

Active User
Registered
I finally bought a Brdgeport 1-1/2HP J head Mill. I'll need a VFD or RPC to run it. I'd like any opinions on what VFDs have been successfully used by those who've done this before. From what I've read so far it looks like a Hitachi WJ200-22S is a good way to go. But I thought I should ask first. Thanks.

Mark S.

Hatachi, Teco, Automation Direct, and many others have been used. They all seem to work just fine.

I have a Hitachi WJ200. Works well, and I like it quite a bit, but I will say that configuring the thing took a bit of studying.

I ran a mill and a lathe, each with 1 1/2 HP motors, on a Teco FM50 2 HP VFD. It worked very well for me.

Hitachi is seen as the 'upper end' on the hobby VFD lines from my experience on reading posts. I used that on my Hobby Mill and then went to the lower end Haunyang type on Amazon for a BP grinder setup. 3HP for $125 if I recall. The WJ300 was about $400 w/ the mini remote and bezel kit / it. Both work fine. +1 as Jim D noted. So many to choose from. Remote Operator panal is something to consider as well w/ your decision possibly?

Enjoy!
CG

+1 for Hitachi. As noted, not the cheapest, but they seem to be pretty durable and in my case "idiot proof".

I have a TECO FM50, and a Hitachi. The Hitachi almost was thrown across the room several times during programming. The TECO was easier. And cheaper.

Ray

If you are not electronically inclined, TECO is the way to go. I have 2.

Randy

There are a bunch of VFD's that should work. Just be sure to use one with the proper current rating. I typically go with a little larger VFD, rather than driving a smaller one at the max current. I have a Teco/factorymation unit on my Series1 Bridgeport. I also use Automation Direct VFD's on my Clausing lathe and Doall band saw.

Eric

I liked the ease of setting up my jnev series Teco. You might want to hunt down Dealers electric as they have great combo deals with a motor and a vfd. I got my combo for what I was going to have to pay for the vfd plus shipping. I now have a spare motor.

Back