Recommendations for VFD

I would choose the Teco JNEV a sensorless vector drive rather than a Teco FM50, you will get better low speed performance. The FM50 was one of the first affordable VFDs and they work well for single phase to 3 phase conversion but the newer sensorless vector drives (like the Teco JNEV) are better when you plan to take advantage of variable speed. The Teco JNEV VFDs are only a few $ more than the FM50s.

Like the Hitachi WJ200 series, you only need a WJ200-015SF (2 HP CT) about $250. The strength (lots of features) and weakness (challenge to set-up until you have done a few) is the programming, they have a very good reliability record. On a mill, it is probably overkill, you would do just fine with about any sensorless vector VFD. Haven't used the TECO drives, but they are quite popular. I agree with the previous post for the JNEV, their sensorless vector EV micro drives; JNEV-202-H1 230V single phase in to 3 phase 2 HP out ~$190. One reason to consider the TECO (name brand) over the generic VFD brands, is a manual that is well written and warranty support.

When you set-up the VFD, on a mill I would use either a remote VFD panel, or use a 3 wire commands with a forward/reverse switch and momentary start/stop switches. Stop button or power glitch kills the run command. On my mill, I use a VFD for the spindle, X and Z axis drives.

Thank you all for your informed suggestions. This clearly narrows down my target choices. Recommendations (from sources I won't name) about derating and such seemed a little far fetched to my liking. I am a retired EE so I'm not worried about setting up the Hitachi but it does seem to have way too many functions I'll never need. I will look into the TECO JNEV. Better low speed performance on a motor not designed for PWM derived power sounds desirable. The mill hasn't arrived yet and I won't likely have it set up in the shop until spring. Your input, as always, is much appreciated.
As always, the comments on this board tend to infer wisdom from experience and less toward opinion. A valuable trade in my estimation.
Mark S.

As always, the comments on this board tend to infer wisdom from experience and less toward opinion. A valuable trade in my estimation.
Mark S.

Well Mark, I can't say that I fit into this category yet but I did want to put a word for the Automation Direct GS1 model VFD. As a newbie, it did take me a while to set up the programming for the unit (and a little help from this forum). I believe your cost for such a unit is around $134 and they offer free shipping and a great support staff.

My unit is a GS1-21PO to fit a 1 hp 240v input for the 3 phase output to my 1941 South Bend 13" lathe. The only comparison I can make is the cost between it and the other models. While the GS1 offers more features that I intend to use (as you noted in your comments about some units) I am very satisfied with its performance.

My recommendations would be log on the internet and read the specs of all the units mentioned in this post, comparing their features to what you think you will need, then shop price.

Happy milling......................:makingdecision:

A new install yesterday on the TECO FM 50 3hp on my Enco mill.
It was easy to install and added a remote control right on the mill and
a fan in the enclosure. I'm very happy with it. My mill has a back gear so can run the motor at good speed and crawl along on a big cutter or drill. I will
invest in another Teco if the need arises.:))

Last edited:
Back