Recommendations where to by stock

As mentioned above, McMaster is great for small pieces. I've used Online Metals but their prices aren't the best. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty is another good source, spruce is a very small part of their business nowadays.

If you're after small quantities of know materials McMaster-Carr is definitely worth looking at, their prices might not be the cheapest but I usually order other things from them that make it convenient. They don't give shipping costs up front but are usually very reasonable (I just got a package from them with a belt and 1ft of 12L14 and shipping was $7 for a total of ~$20.

One I didn't notice mentioned is your local machine shops. If they're open to it they often have off-cuts (don't call it scrap) that they'll sell very reasonably. And, they usually know what it is which is actually quite important when you're learning. An extra bonus is if you get to know them they can give you tips and do some small jobs for you that will be difficult or impossible in a modest hobby shop. My local guy in Elk Rapids also offered to order stock from Alro with their regular run and pass along the discount.

John

Yup, 6061dude and steeldawg on ebay, Hobby Metal Kits for the small stuff. If those don't cover it, I tend to go McMaster Carr after getting fed up with the shipping fees for Online Metals. Can't fault O-M otherwise, but doubling the cost of the metal in order to ship it just don't work for me.

I found with Online Metals, you really need to buy in quantity, stock up on some staple materials, don't just buy a little bit for a specific project. It also pays to do the hokey pokey with the shopping cart trying different amounts and lengths until you find the sweet spot to maximize the shipping weight without going past it into next price level.

I also found 6 foot lengths to be the most economical, that is the point where you get some better unit pricing and going longer than that you get hit with oversize package charges. As I recall the shipping rates start to flatten out with these longer lengths as well, I'm thinking they use a different shipper or maybe it moves them into a different category with their shipper. It has been about 2 years since I ordered from them (stocked up) so I might be off a bit on the lengths.

If you can find a local supplier that would be the best. I have a local guy that I buy from. He has a lot of product from when he has bought companies out. I can buy aluminum and stainless for $1.50 a pound. A lot of it is oddball stuff but it works for me. You might be able to find something like that in your area if you search.

Attachments

• 20201104_110250.jpg
    20201104_110250.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20201104_112627.jpg
    20201104_112627.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 18
So many suggestions that I decided to make a list. Maybe this could be put at the start of the thread and I could periodically update the list as additional suggestions are made.

McMaster Carr
Buymetals.com
Xometery
OnlineMetals.com
Speedymetals.com
Metals Supermarket
Midwest Steel and Aluminum
Metals Depot

Ebay Sellers
6061dude
Steeldawg
Hobbymetalkits
Metalsremanents I had a question about shipping and never got a response to my emails.

I've been buying mostly from onlinemetals.com because they're fast and you can see the shipping cost up front. I've also bought from 6061dude on eBay. In a pinch, I've bought from McMaster-Carr and MSC, too.

Lately, I've been turned onto Midwest Steel. They let you pick the exact size you need without customization charges which makes it cheaper. Plus, I don't have to spend time at my small bandsaw cutting things slowly to size! They are one of the cheapest around, but be prepared to wait. My first order took 2 weeks and I'm still waiting on my second (1 week so far).

I'll have to check out Steeldawg on eBay for some future projects.

I found with Online Metals, you really need to buy in quantity, stock up on some staple materials, don't just buy a little bit for a specific project. It also pays to do the hokey pokey with the shopping cart trying different amounts and lengths until you find the sweet spot to maximize the shipping weight without going past it into next price level.

Yup, that's what I used to do, but starting around spring this year it became cost-prohibitive. Either they changed shippers, or decided they were losing money on it. Even items whose shipping shouldn't change - like the 5-lb and 10-lb protoboxes - rocketed up.

Maybe they've rolled that back, but I doubt it. I can usually get material cheaper through McMaster-Carr or Ebay. The main advantage of ebay is that sellers are willing to just chuck metal into a flat-rate priority mail box; the other places want to make it all professional and overpackaged.

If I have a project and a BOM, then I use onlinemetals. The shipping is reasonable for me based on location, but it still takes its bite out of my wallet. I particularly enjoy the protoboxes, but sometimes it's a crap shoot.

There is a new materials division at a metal scrap yard just down the road. If I am desperate for full-length new stock I can use them, but after a visit to their yard I concluded that I wouldn't waste taking a whiz on the proprietor's head if his hair was on fire. I've never gone back (though I know where I'd go if I needed to score some meth). Tacoma isn't that much further, plenty of industrial supply there.

Back