Reducing speed on AC single phase motor

Since a VFD cannot be used on a capacitor start motor, there are only two choices: Find a 6 pole motor to run 1200 RPM range. Or rig larger/smaller pulleys to lower speed. Going to a three phase motor and a VFD is an option, but quite costly when compared to another level of belt reduction.

There is one other option, but it requires a little(?) machine work. A while back I built a 3:1 reduction gear for a Chinese lathe.
http://www.hudsontelcom.com/9X20Gear.html
It would involve changing the belts and sheaves to a smaller profile. No biggie but added costs for a proper sized belt. Sheaves can be made from 1/4 inch plates. 3:1 would allow use of a faster motor, 2 pole, 3600 RPM class if that is a option. Going to an existing size belt with a larger pulley looks, to what I see, like it is not really a simple solution. My solution is crude but easy to do.

Haven't done much on this as I got involved with troubleshooting a Piranha for the local race car fabricator near me. Had a bad contactor that made his SPC freak out.
So, with more poking around on the machine I found a plate that tells all.
2020-10-31 06.09.45-33.jpg

So the motor isn't the problem, the design is. I'm still in the same boat, because the minimum factory SFM is 200. I would like to get it below 100 for harder things I may need to cut, like stainless.
I am considering a central jackshaft with a step pulley.

Thanks,
Chris

Back