Reducing the diameter of a V belt pulley?

I certainly would not worry about 46 rpms

On a few long cycle compressors, I have successfully increased the compressor rpm’s by 200, to shorten the fill up times on 3 , 80 gallon units.
I did not notice any issues for these units.
I upgraded to synthetic oil as a wear saving measure

I certainly would not worry about 46 rpms

On a few long cycle compressors, I have successfully increased the compressor rpm’s by 200, to shorten the fill up times on 3 , 80 gallon units.
I did not notice any issues for these units.
I upgraded to synthetic oil as a wear saving measure
yeah, I'm probably just making a mountain out of a molehill.

But still, there's that little nag in the back of my brain telling me that "Chinese specs" are usually marginal at best.....

But still, there's that little nag in the back of my brain telling me that "Chinese specs" are often marginal at best.....
You won’t go wrong with the rated speed!

I generally experiment with taking things too far, to find the limits of things. I’ve learned lots of things by stepping out of the box

Just dropped a 1/2" belt into the pulley and was reminded that it's not the absolute OD of the pulley itself I need to be concerned with but rather where the angle rides the belt. So I'd need to recut the angle anyways if I wanted to reduce the effective diameter of the pulley. Lots of depth under the belt as it is, so it is an option to recut the pulley.

And with all things Chinese manufatured, I can find varying specs for rpm for the same looking 3 hp pump. 800-1100 at one "reference", 1200 rpm max in another.

Oh well, maybe 46 rpm over isn't a big a deal as I'm making it out to be in my mind......
yes, that's why I was showing you the adjustable.
Same with a reaves drive, the size of the sheave has nothing to do with it, other than the max size it can be.
where it sits is everything.

But still, there's that little nag in the back of my brain telling me that "Chinese specs" are usually marginal at best.....
I would be more concerned with a decent break in on machines like these.

This is more seat of the pants, but I would run it unloaded for an hour or so intermittently, then for a bit under low load and up the pressure in steps. Not low speed mind you, low load.

Back