Refinish Paint on Lathe - Crackle effect and factory paint color

NKmachinist

Registered
Registered
Hello All, I have two questions.

1. How to replicate black crackle effect as in the first head stock ? I believe Crackle effect is not same as the hammer paint effect. Please let me know if I’m wrong.

2. What will be closest paint color I should go for to replicate the color for the second headstock ? Both are Derbyshire. Both of them show bare metal now after removing rust so want to prevent further damage. TIA..

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 10
I believe you can still buy crinkle (sometimes called wrinkle finish as well) paint, at least I’m seeing some pretty current ads for it from places like Sherwin-Williams. Also a DIY version here http://build-threads.com/general-car-stuff/diyhow-to-wrinkle-texture-paint/ that seemed to turn out pretty nicely. I’ve not done it myself, mind, so take the suggestion for what it is. Let us know if you get a good result though…

-frank

Thank you for all your recommendations. Am going with VTG wrinkle plus paint. I went through the blog post and found it very useful. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Any recommendation for the grey blue paint for the second headstock?

Back