Refreshing A Dead Center?

kizmit99

Active User
Registered
Hi All,
Quick question about the best way to go about re-cutting the working surface of a dead center. I've got a dead center who's point has been pretty badly worn:

F44A4F98-46E6-4862-95E1-694AE6CD5081_zpsc4p38lee.jpg

I was originally thinking - no problem, just chuck it up, set the compound at 30 or 60-degrees and clean it up... Then I realized it's got an MS-2 taper to fit my tail-stock which wont fit nicely into my chuck or spindle...

I'm sure there's a simple solution I'm not thinking of to clean this up - what is it?
(Lathe is G0602)...

Thanks!

What taper does your spindle have (the Griz web site says MT4)?
Often lathe manufacturers often provide a short version MT adapter (my lathe is a bit larger, it came with a MT5 x MT3). Anyway, you ought to be able to simply pop an MT4 - MT2 adapter sleeve into the headstock, pop the center into the spindle - then machine away as you had intended.

Morse 2 - 3 adaptor sleeve, or whatever fits your spindle? My lathe has a M4-1/2 taper in the spindle nose, I had to make up a bushing so while it was set up for the spindle taper I made a few, then bored two for 2 and 3 Morse for a bit of flexibility - I only have a reamer for 3 Morse, so the other is a bit rough-and-ready, but concentric.

Hi All,
Quick question about the best way to go about re-cutting the working surface of a dead center. I've got a dead center who's point has been pretty badly worn:

I was originally thinking - no problem, just chuck it up, set the compound at 30 or 60-degrees and clean it up... Then I realized it's got an MS-2 taper to fit my tail-stock which wont fit nicely into my chuck or spindle...

I'm sure there's a simple solution I'm not thinking of to clean this up - what is it?
(Lathe is G0602)...

Thanks!

Actually not worth your time to regrind the point,too much metal to remove plus a new one is about $5.00
If the point is hardened,sure does not look like it ,you have to anneal it.
If you really want to save the dead center it is possible to turn or grind the point.Remove the chuck. Install an adaptor,#3 morse taper /#2 morse taper. Assuming the headstock spindle is a #3 MT.Set the compound to 30° and turn a new point.If the point is hardened ,grind it instead. Figure a way to hold a stone in the tool holder and grind away.Vacuum the grinding dust right away.By the way,oil or grease the center often as you use it.
Personally, I would buy a new hardened dead center or a live center with a long slim nose.There are live center sets that may be of interest to you.

mike

Then I realized it's got an MS-2 taper to fit my tail-stock .......
(Lathe is G0602)...
If your lathe is a G0602, your tailstock taper should be an MT3.

Measure the diameter at the small end of the taper. A #3 Morse taper will be just under .8" in diameter. A #2 Morse taper will be just under. 6" in diameter.

Bob

If your lathe is a G0602, your tailstock taper should be an MT3.

According to the manual it's MT3 -- thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I recall MS2 (short MT2) from when I originally got it -- but MT3 it is!

So, looks like an MT4 to MT3 adapter for use in the spindle is in order.

Thanks all!

Edit -- ebay order placed, should be here in about... a month... Gotta love the direct from china shipping...

Last edited:
How did the center get damaged?
If it is a soft center, you ought not use it in the tailstock. Reserve it for use in the head stock when turning between centers (even match mark it so after you re-cut it goes back in the same each time). In the tailstock, use a live center or a hard center (I got one with a carbide tip). I don't use my hard center very often, but when I need just a little more room, or I want a stiffer set up, or the live center interfers with getting in close - the dead center has been able to help me get the job done.

How did the center get damaged?

I think I was turning a piece of small diameter drill rod, was using the center to control flexing, and forgot to lubricate it.
This is one of the centers that came with the lathe -- it is specifically meant for the tail-stock ram (the spindle is a different size). I'm pretty sure it's not hardened, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be. It just has wear and needs to be re-pointed. There was a comment earlier about it not being worth fixing -- I'm pretty sure these are meant to wear and be cleaned up periodically; it is a dead center after all and will be subject to a lot of friction. I would rather have the $5 tool wear than the part I'm trying to turn... Decided to lookup the part on grizzly's site to check whether it was supposed to be hardened or not, and couldn't find it as a replacement part. Did find that most listed are hardened - but I'm still pretty sure the ones that came with the lathe weren't...

My live center is pretty fricking huge, which makes it just about impossible to get a tool anywhere near the tail end of the work piece (even coming at it with a right-handed cutter) without a large cutter stickout... I should probably look for a smaller live center as well now that I'm thinking about it...

Last edited:
if it's hardened, you'll need carbide and/or a tool post grinder to true it back up

Hi All,

(Lathe is G0602)...

Thanks!
If you have them use an R8 to Morse #2 holder in a 4 jaw chuck and indicate for concentricity. If you have another live or dead center you can indicate it when adjusting the compound angle.

Back