Refurbishing an older Yamaha Kodiak 400

While the new carburetor works fine, I thought it might be interesting to see if I could
repair the old one. The main problem looks to be the main jet which has to large hole of .060 or so.:(
Using some lead free electrical solder, I soldered the hole in the jet. After that I was able to chuck up the jet in the
Springfield lathe with a 3/16 inch 5C collet. I had no tiny center to start the new hole so used a 4 flute end mill with a
diameter of .031 inch to make the new hole in the jet. I think the solder is tin based so might not oxidize and cause
problems that way. A better fix might be to silver solder in the hole now that I think about it. Anyhow, I think it will work.
The only other problem I can see is that the bottom cover for the carb has some long drilled holes in it and the ends of the
hole plugged up with a tiny press fit brass ball. There is a small brass piston connected to these holes that is throttle actuated
and associated with the drilled tubes that feed extra fuel on acceleration. I may try use compressed air to unplug the drilled
hole or maybe mill out the little brass ball so I can get into the drilled fuel passage to clean it out, then plug the hole again.
I would think one could thread the end of the passage and install a tiny screw to close the hole.

It's interesting how the jet looked pretty good just looking at it but the photo indicates some cleaning is needed and possibly have to
mill down into the solder a bit. P1030757.JPG

Back