Regular Smallest Thread

planeflyer21

Registered
Registered
I was looking at a number of lathes, amazed at the widely varying capabilities at single-point cutting TPI. So go to a TPI of 50 or 60, others up to 112 or so, some seem to be for watches capable of cutting 240 TPI.

It got me to thinking and I want to ask, what are the smallest threads you single-point cut on your own lathe?

Thanks!

Thats a great question, planeflyer21. I would also like to know what material and what lathe were you using for this?
My best so far as a REAL threading newbie, is 1/4-28 in brass on a G0602, but this was my first try.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Finest thread pitch I can remember doing was 48 tpi, on my mentor's 16x40. Can't remember why/for what though.

I do a fair amount of 40 tpi threading of barrels and compensators for 1911/2011 style competition guns. This is done on my PM1340GT currently, and on materials common to those pistols like stainless, 4140, and titanium.

Drilled and tapped 0-80, but only single pointed 40.

I once had the privilege of watching a class 'A' toolmaker cutting 5/16-48 on a special brass alloy shaft
that was a component for some satellite project.
This was on a big ol' LeBlond. Once again - I wished I'd paid closer attention and could remember more detail.

Your satellite comment broke loose some old memory cells. :)

I did do some 50 tpi work back in a former life when the optics/laser scientists were asking for some help making adjustable holders for lenses and mirrors. Did that on a small German or Swiss lathe. All I remember was that it was a very expensive lathe.

1.0 metric on some crappy still from the hardware store. I used my 14x40 Grizzly Gunsmith lathe. I think it is called the G0709.

Back