Relay Wiring Help

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to switch a small 120vac motor with a relay and 2-wire 120vac proximity switch.

Will this relay work? and how is it wired? The proximity switch is a NC switch.

20240312_190502.jpg

The purpose is to stop the motor when the sensor detects a metal object.

This is the wiring diagram from the data sheet.

Wiring Diagram.png

Will it work?

NO CLUE!

The drawing is very simple, the 120 vac goes at the bottom and the switching as on the side.

Not wanting to be disrespectful, but if you need help figuring out how to connect this relay, and you are working with 120 volts...STOP.

There is not enough information to state if it will work, apply 120 vac to the coil and the relay switches.

What controls the voltage to the relay?

What does the relay control?

Stop a motor?

How is the motor controlled?

What type?

It seems simple to have the relay in series with motor power, but depending on how the motor is controlled, there may be different ways.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The sensor needs to be rated for the voltage and amp load of the hold-in coil of the relay.

If you using the sensor to trigger the relay to break the circuit, you need to design the circuit so that it needs to be reset before it energizes again. Otherwise it could restart and endanger someone.

Have the prox switch fire a coil on a small relay and use that to turn on and off the motor. Just a suggestion.

Need to clarify your design: Do you want the motor to stop only as long as the metal object is present, or
do you want the motor to stop altogether until the object is removed and a reset button is pushed?

You need to add a reset button if you want the latter case

Thanks for the replies. I got it figured out. For what ever reason the unmarked coil terminals made my brain feeze until it sunk it was an AC coil after I posted.

The motor is a 3a gearmotor. No large loads or torque.

Back